Where To Get Your Christmas Caroling On In NYC

I was walking my chihuahua down 5th Avenue this weekend and unexpectedly came across a group of carolers.  Best treat EVER!  No lie, we stopped in our tracks, plopped on a bench and spent the next hour listening to renditions of Jingle Bells and Come All Ye Faithful.  Although the chihuahua was chilly, he enjoyed all the attention from tourists almost as much as I enjoyed the singing.

While this particular group was a bit of an improv performance, there are many opportunities for organized caroling in NYC that are not only festive, but completely free.  Here’s a few we’re really excited about:

Trinity Youth Chorus: A Ceremony of Carols – Financial District
St. Paul’s Chapel, Broadway and Fulton Street
Friday, December 14 at 6pm

Unsilent Night – West Village
The Arch at Washington Square Park, Fifth Avenue and Washington Square North
Saturday, December 15 at 7pm

Caroling on the Steps – Midtown East
Saint Bart’s Church, 325 Park Avenue between 50th and 51st Streets
Monday, December 17 at 5:30pm (Editor’s Note: Team UsedYorkCity writers went to this last year and had a blast!)

The West Village Chorale’s Greenwich Village Caroling Walk – West Village
Judson Memorial Church, 55 Washington Square South at Thompson Street
Saturday, December 22 at 4pm

Candlelight Caroling: Christmas Eve – East Village
West Stuyvesant Square Park, Second Avenue at 16th Street near the statue of Peter Stuyvesant
Monday, December 24 at 6pm

Christmas Eve Caroling in Gramercy Park – Gramercy
Lexington Avenue at 21st Street
Monday, December 24 at 6pm (Editor’s Note: As the park is typically “key access only”, this is a fabulous opportunity to do some VIP Christmas caroling!)

Christmas Eve Caroling – West Village
The Arch at Washington Square Park, Fifth Avenue and Washington Square North
Monday, December 24 at 5pm

What’s your favorite song that always gets you in the holiday spirit?  Share with us below!

16 Responses to “Where To Get Your Christmas Caroling On In NYC”

1. Michelle says:

So much fun to carol with you, Jess! Last year on the way to Christmas Eve service at St. George’s, I happened into the candlelight caroling at Stuy Park. It was so beautiful and was still going when we left. I highly recommend it to your readers. My favorites are “O Holy Night” and “Silent Night” (in English or German).

Such a fun way to kick off the holidays, Michelle! We’ll have to make it an annual tradition!:-)

2. I’m with Buck–here in Southern Cali, we don’t have carolers. We may have nice weather, but sometimes it feels a lot less than Christmas because we don’t have snow, snow flakes, or a real reason to sip hot chocolate. I think our kids miss out as a result. Not that this is a valid reason to complain, but I feel a bit melancholy when I read holiday books to my son.

Think I’m gonna google carolers in our area! And that’s an adorable pic of you and the carolers, Jess :).
    linda esposito recently posted..All I Want for Christmas Is…Gun Control and Mental Health CareMy Profile

Don’t you love the power of google?:-) Let us know what you find, and hope it helps bring some holiday cheer to SoCal!

3. Buck says:

Out in Los Angeles here I never really experienced any caroling. It must be an east coast thing.. but it sure sounds like fun. However, I would not trade it for our weather!
    Buck recently posted..Five Great Coastal Communities To Vacation At In FloridaMy Profile

4. Cindy Jacks says:

I love Christmas caroling, I used to do it every Christmas when I was a kid. You’ve inspired me to find someplace to do it in my little town! Looks like you had a great time :)
    Cindy Jacks recently posted..Happy Release Day to Em Petrova! @empetrovaMy Profile

5. Sounds like some great options to me! Last year, I saw carolers on the High Line … not sure if that was spontaneous or an annual event. Enjoy some NYC for us this Christmas, Jess!
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..Why my fear of spiders kept me from exploring Belize’s ATM CaveMy Profile

6. Tracy Kaler says:

Funny, after living in NYC for more than five years, I’ve yet to see any carolers. Definitely going to check one of these groups out this year–thanks for posting! I love “The First Noel” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”

Awesome, let us know how you like it!:-) I also love “have yourself a merry little christmas”.

7. hehehe, for the first time in ages I am going singing in York over the christmas break!!! I like carol singers because I am one!
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Tales of Tuscany – Lari and Martelli PastaMy Profile

8. Salika Jay says:

I just love the season, and carols is one of the best things. I have quite a few favorites but I’ll start with Silent Night.
    Salika Jay recently posted..Prague: The Perfect European Holiday DestinationMy Profile

Caroling is one of my favorite parts too…my mom always had caroling parties when I was growing up:-)