How Luxe Is The Journelle Sample Sale?

One of the greatest (and probably the worst for our wallets) aspects about living in New York City is having the opportunity that many other cities lack – a chance to score big at major sample sales.  Be it the Barney’s Warehouse sale, where I was once able to walk away with a Prada Turtleneck for a mere $18.99 or the Helmut Lang Sales where you can find the brand’s signature blazers at the best prices. During last November’s Alexander Wang Sample Sale, many people actually ventured into the city from other states, some even as far out as Chicago.

Now how want-worthy is the lingerie at the upcoming Journelle Sample Sale? For those New Yorkers not familiar with Journelle, it’s one of the most sensual New York lingerie boutiques offering some of the elite of lingerie, such as Stella McCartney, La Perla, and The Lake and Stars.  What prices should you expect at the Boutique’s super sale?  Elle Macpherson’s casual day bras will be starting at $23 (originally $45) and La Perla’s lacy numbers will start off at half off. Yes, I said start off. With any sample sale, there will be mark downs.  But the question is what will you find when the prices start to drop.

The Sale’s location, 260 5th Avenue, is known for the around–the-corner lines and the half-hour wait for almost every sale that they host. So unfortunately, if you want the deals don’t count on shopping the best picks of the sale. Regardless, it’s definitely worth going to, and will get you through the January Slump.

WHAT: Journelle Sample Sale

WHERE: 260 5th Avenue
New York, New York
212.725.5400

WHEN: January 15th-19th, 2013

By: Haya Elkadi

16 Responses to “How Luxe Is The Journelle Sample Sale?”

1. It’s certainly one of the best perks about living in NYC – sample sales!
    I like to go early to make sure they have my size.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..The Jamaica Visitors Rarely See, IIMy Profile

I was thrilled to find a cashmere sweater on super sample sale this summer, and it’s one of my wardrobe staples now!

2. Andrea Naomi says:

We really don’t have much of these sales here – it’s a rare occasion. Whenever I “want” something nice I usually just shop online. I’d actually really enjoy a day dedicated to unmentionables :)
    Andrea Naomi recently posted..Mend Your Perspective To Sell More OnlineMy Profile

3. we have the same here…actually some are worth going along to…but, mostly I know I will buy stuff that goes into my wardrobe and never comes out again!
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Banca Mayfair – AperitivoMy Profile

Haha, understandable! I’m trying to be MUCH better about the impulse shopping this year, as my closet space is precious and limited, and tends to fill with stuff I don’t need, either;-)

4. Richard says:

What exactly is a “sample sale” (in general)? Are the retailers selling excess inventory that would otherwise be sold through regular channels? Or are they selling “samples” and, if so, what exactly is a sample? Thanks for the education.

Typically, the retailers are selling to discard excess merchandise at a fraction of the cost that you would find at their stores. The sales are typically pretty short (a few days max), as the inventory sells out quickly. The great thing about them is that you will find very high end brands at prices that you would never find anywhere else. Hope this helps, and thanks for stopping by!:-)

• Richard says:

It does. “Sample” then is somewhat of a misnomer. Is that a fair statement?

Depending on how you look at it…”sample” could also refer to a sampling of the brand’s goods. As in…if you like what you see at the sample sale, come to the actual store for the full selection!;-)

5. Ahh–I can just feel the luscious, scrumptious and sensual. There’s something about lovely undergarments that just say “well taken care of.” I’m happy and sad that I can’t partake :). Love BoyandJoy’s suggestions about going on the first and last days. Great tip!
    linda esposito recently posted..Anxious Adults Create Anxious Children + The Think Traffic ChallengeMy Profile

6. Will have to check this out!
    Koren @ City Gal recently posted..Uppsala Brings Light to Sweden’s Dark DaysMy Profile

7. BoyandJoy says:

When do you typically attend a sample sale? We like to go on day 1 to get the best pickings and the last day to take advantage of even lower sales.
    BoyandJoy recently posted..A boot for all occasions: Alden #8 Shell Cordovan Grant Wingtip BootMy Profile

Nice! I typically pop in the first day to check out the inventory, but will definitely have to integrate the last day into the routine, too!;-)