UYC’s Walks: Central Park South

Remember that great Woody Allen line in Manhattan: “He adored New York City. He idolized it all out of proportion…no, make that: he – he romanticized it all out of proportion. Yes. To him, no matter what the season was, this was still a town that existed in black and white and pulsated to the great tunes of George Gershwin.”  …Yeah, that one.  No place in this city has my heart and my feet pulsating to the tunes of Gershwin quite like Central Park South.  That’s why I thought it would be the perfect street to kick off a new UsedYorkCity series: UYC’s Walks.  In the series, I’ll be taking you all over New York and sharing some of my favorite strolls with you and all the best stops along the way.  So without further adiu, let me introduce my favorite street in NYC, Central Park South.

Starting Point

Take the subway to 59th Street Columbus Circle (the A, B, C, D, 1 trains will all get you there), go inside the Time Warner Center, up the escalator, and to the 2nd or 3rd floor.  The TWC’s floor to ceiling windows will give you a gorgeous preview of Central Park South as it heads east.

Leave the TWC and begin heading east on Central Park South (also known as 59th Street).  I like walking on the cobblestone park side, and taking in the view from across the street.

You’ll see the prestigious New York Athletic Club on the corner of 59th and 7th Avenue…a place that still requires gentlemen to enter wearing jackets at all times (even if you’re headed to the gym to work out!)  There’s something to be said about dressing to the nines, and it’s nice that it’s still mandatory in some small pockets of the city.

I’ve always loved this etching on the side of the Hampshire House:

Once you cross to 59th and 6th Avenue, you can look down at the lake in the park.

You’ll also start seeing horse and carriages along the street, picking up tourists and whisking them away to the park for a pretty penny.

As you near 5th Avenue, you’ll see one of the most iconic NYC hotels, The Plaza.  If you’re hungry head downstairs to the basement and try out one of my favorite casual dining restaurants in the city, The Todd English Food Hall.  Get the goat cheese and beet ravioli, I promise it will be one of the best dishes that ever hit your lips.  If you have a little girl on your walk (or you’re like me and just adore anything pink), you must check out the Eloise room, also in the basement.  It’s positively precious.  My walking buddy, Gillman, thinks it’s simply the bee’s knees.

Next to the hotel sits the Grand Army Plaza, a wonderful place to grab a bench, sit for a spell, and listen to the wonderful tunes of Gershwin…if only in your head.

What are your favorite stops along Central Park South?  Share below!

Comments
24 Responses to “UYC’s Walks: Central Park South”
  1. Maria says:

Aw daffodils. Don’t get them where I live… miss them so.

Gotta say love the reflection shot – one of the best things about mirrored facades.
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Ready to SpitMy Profile

2. Sojourner says:

I love Central Park in the Spring :) My favorite is the Boat House.

3. Tracy Kaler says:

Amazing photos! This is one of my favorite walks as well — I actually did it today. The park is really opening up and looking lovely right now. There’s nothing like springtime in NYC!
    Tracy Kaler recently posted..Shop Efva Attling for ‘Beauty With a Thought’My Profile

4. memographer says:

This is great, Jess! Love New York! Can’t wait for your next walks and UYC’s Walks series posts.
    Take more pics! Please ;)
    memographer recently posted..Semana Santa – The Holy Week of Easter in Latin AmericaMy Profile

5. Pamela Morse says:

There was a fabulous Bangladesh restaurant with windows ( enhanced by mirrors) overlooking the park..it was wonderful food, not sure if it is still there. Right near the Plaza

Oh wow! To the best of my knowledge it’s not there anymore, but I will investigate!…however, the fabulous Harry’s still is, with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the park:-)

6. Gillman is the cutest attraction, for sure!

My favorite NYC stroll was the Modern museum (of course the exact name escapes), but it was the highlight of my trip. I just felt really cultured when I visited. The people watching on the large steps out front was quite the treat, as well. I think the ‘ladies who lunch’ could give the Athletic Club guys a run for their well-heeled money.

I really enjoyed these gorgeous images–you’re the camera and lighting gal, too? Very impressive, Jess :)
    Linda Esposito recently posted..Positive Psychology Tips + Free Meditation Mp3My Profile

Totally agree with you on the Gillman front;-)

Yes, that’s a GREAT museum, you could spend weeks in there and still not see everything it feels!

And yep, I’m the photo girl on this one, too;-) So glad you enjoyed…another fun walk coming next week!

7. In Los Angeles, few people walk anywhere. Even when a car is parked a block away, someone offers to give you a ride to your car. The beautiful scenery you’ve photographed inspires one to take a leisurely stroll.
    ClinicalPosters.com recently posted..No Amount of Sleep is EnoughMy Profile

Haha, that’s pretty hysterical;-) Although totally true…I hail from the south, and it’s the same way down there, people drive everywhere!

8. Andrea says:

Ahhh – Central Park is so beautiful! It was too cold for a walk there on our last visit and I missed out!
    Andrea recently posted..15 Things To Do In Lyon, FranceMy Profile

It’s gorgeous when everything starts blooming! We’re still in a not-quite-out-of-winter slump over here!;-)

9. I’ve just been doing a spring walk in London…cities are so much prettier when the sun shines!
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Gallery Mess – Sloane SquareMy Profile

10. Salika Jay says:

Nice walk and some good places to stop by.
    Salika Jay recently posted..Best Ways To Travel Around BaliMy Profile

11. Thanks to Mr. Gillman, I have found this spot where doggies are hanging out. It’s not independently a dog park, it’s a human friendly dog park!

12. Excellent walk! One of my favorite spots around NYC. Kinda makes me miss home :(
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..Confronting Cambodia’s tragic past, Part 3: The Killing FieldsMy Profile