UYC’s Walks: MOMA

As much as I love splashing through puddles and getting sprayed with dirty curbside water by NYC buses, on a rainy day in the city, I’ll trade in my rain boots and umbrella for a stroll through a dry museum anytime.  This week, in order to avoid the inevitable head cold that comes with spring showers, we’re taking you on a UYC stroll inside one of my favorite museums, the Museum of Modern Art.

Starting Point

Take the E or M train to 5th Avenue/53rd Street, and head to MOMA, located at 11 West 53 Street.  If you happen to be going on a Friday after 4pm, you can skip the normal $25 admission ticket and get in for FREE.  (Note: Avoid getting there exactly at 4pm, as the line is still pretty long.  I always make my visit around 6ish and get right in…still having 2 hours to explore the exhibits.)  The only downside to Free Friday Evenings is you can expect a bit more of a crowd than normal, but as long as you don’t mind waiting a few minutes for your turn to snap a photo of Van Gogh’s Starry Night, I say, go for it!

The museum is quite huge, and where you’ll spend the most time really has to do with your personal art preferences.  Hours of your day can be spent perusing photography, paintings, sculpture, installations, films…and I’m sure I need not mention the excellent people watching that can be had!  And if you are visiting on a nice day, do check out the sculpture garden…it’s a lovely little spot for a bit of solace in the city.

During your six story stroll, you’ll spy everything from art that may baffle you as to how it possibly made it into one of the most prestigious museums in the world (my reference here is that ginormous canvas painted red…gets me every time), to truly iconic pieces you’ll recognize from Art History 101 back in college (Andy Warhol’s Tomato Soup Cans, anyone?), to pieces that make you thank the weather Gods that it was raining so hard that you decided to take a museum stroll in the first place.  For me, this will always be anything created by Jackson Pollock.  How I’d love to have one of those beauties hanging in my living room…but first maybe I’d need a living room large enough to hold it.  Until then, I’ll always have the MOMA.

Do you have a favorite piece you always make a point to visit at the museum?

• Debbie says:

MOMA is great. A lot of unique pieces for sure. Great post!

• Pamela Morse says:

Free is the best price because you can stay as long as you are inspired to do so and it is all a gift. Good move, Jess.

• Andrea says:

Still haven’t visited this but I saw the collection when they relocated to one of the public schools out in Queens during reconstruction – amazing art!

PS1 is a fabulous spot to visit, and kudos to you for making it to Queens during your visit! Love when out of towners make time for the outer boroughs!;-)

• Maria says:

I always want to see what’s new/recent but yes, there are a few artists I always look for: Richard Serra, Elsworth Kelly among others.

Totally agree! I love visiting whatever new instillation piece they have on the 2nd floor:-)

• I went to MOMA and had I known I could avoid the $25.00 ticket I would’ve waited til 6ish on a Friday. Isn’t this the museum with the amazing cafeteria in the basement? Sadly, I remember the mac n’ cheese more than the artwork ;).

I think it was overwhelm which made me confused—too many things to do, see and taste while on a trip to NYC.

Thanks for the bit of culture to start my week, Jess :)

TOTALLY hear ya on the overwhelmed thing! These museums are HUGE and after a while it can feel more like moving through an assembly line rather than really understanding what you’re looking at. In a future post I’m going to share my recent obsession with the “free docent tours”…these are led by someone, and only take you around to see a few key pieces, but really give a much better understanding and appreciation as to the art you’re looking at.

P.s. Love mac-n-cheese;-)

• Scarlett says:

Jess I think you need to set up your own tour company in NYC! xx

You’re positively the sweetest! Maybe that can be my next career venture…;-)

• memographer says:

MOMA is, definitely, a must go place in NYC. Thanks for the directions and Free Friday attendance tip.
    When I go to the museum I research in advance and make a list of things I must see.

Absolutely! This city can get quite expensive, so I like to save a few bucks when possible;-)

• In Venice, California I recently visited a museum of eclectic works and was surprised to stumble upon some original works of Ansel Adams. Previously I hand only seen them on the Web. Original prints jumped out at me before I even read the artist credit. Naturally, they were quite expensive (five figures) but it was a treat to see them in person.

I imagine so! There’s something special about seeing an artist’s works up close and personal, for sure!

• gosh, I visited MOMA when I last came to NYC…brings back good memories. Mind you, if you want to see damp walks, check my latest post!