Jess Says Yes To The Dress!

Wedding planning!  Ekkkk!

I’ve shared with your guys our proposal story and some pics from our Gatsby Garden Party themed engagement soiree, so it seemed only the logical next step to post all about finding the perfect dress in NYC on the internet.  That’s right…in a city chock full of adorable bridal shops, I just couldn’t bring myself to say “yes to THE dress”…or any dress, for that matter, in any of them.  And boy, did I try.

The first stop was Spanish designer Pronovias.  I went in with strict instructions of “No mermaid, trumpet, strapless, sweetheart, or sleeveless.”  When the sales associate asked what I did want, I responded “Timeless 1920′s.  I want to be able to wear nothing but the dress, diamond, and red lipstick.”  Apparently that cuts your selection down quite a bit.  While I didn’t find anything that came remotely close to fitting the image I’d conjored up in my head, oh, when I was about 5, I did try on a dress I later found out cost a whopping 18 grand.  Yep, an $18,000 wedding dress, folks.  I sure hope those sparkles are diamonds:

We then headed south of 14th Street to check out some of the downtown designers.  About the only thing attractive for me at Selia Yang’s was her adorable min pin rescue who was yipping, “no, no, no” to every dress I tried on there.

Kelima K is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met, and she immediately offered 50% off one of the floor models.  Aww.  It wasn’t quite my vision, but I’d definitely encourage all brides-to-be to make a stop into her boutique.

We popped right in (and out) of David’s Bridal in Chelsea.  Around this time I was getting hot, calustrophobic, overwhelmed, and convinced that there was not a designer in the world that understood what I wanted.  #FirstWorldProblems

We couldn’t do the bridal circuit without stopping into Kleinfeld’s.  By far the most variety, there were a handful of dresses here that were getting closer to what I wanted.

The last stop, Fancy Bridal, was my favorite store, by far.  Featuring dresses that let you bring out your inner Grace, Audrey, and Marilyn, I was smitten.  So much so that I almost said yes to a dress.  This one:

I mean, a beret AND cozy cashmere sweater on my wedding day?!  Swoon.

But somewhere in my heart of hearts I still really, really, really wanted that 1920′s gown.  So I went home, a bit mopey, and resolved to try again another day.  My darling Maid of Honor would send me Instagrammed photos of dresses that might fit the bill, encouraging me that the dress, did in fact, exist.  (Gold star for your MOH duties, Michelle.)

Flash forward a few weeks…I was clicking around on Pinterest, looking at blush and bashful colored bridesmaid dresses, when I saw THE DRESS.  And get this: the model was wearing nothing but a diamond and red lipstick.  Talk about perfect styling.

I immediately called the store and had them ship the dress (from Chicago), pronto.  Besides being about a foot too long (nothing my amazing Korean tailor couldn’t fix), it was absolutely perfect.  I took awful selfies of me trying it on, texted them to my mom, who assured me she was crying on the other end of the phone, and that “yes, Jess.  This is the dress.”

I can’t wait to share photos with you guys of the dress on the wedding day…!!!  Until then…

I’d love to know…how many dresses did you try on until you said yes?  Share below!

xx,

Jess

Comments
26 Responses to “Jess Says Yes To The Dress!”
  1. wonderful photos Jess, you look stunning in the dresses you turned down! SO I can’t imagine how amazing you will look in the dress you chose…
    fiona maclean recently posted..Fab First Fridays – Blogging and the CommunityMy Profile

2. Rebecca says:

Sounds like a disappointing day of shopping but I can’t wait to see what you found on Pinterest along with the bridesmaid dresses and everything else!
    Rebecca recently posted..How to Stay Visible – Local SEOMy Profile

Haha, thanks Rebecca! I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, but still a super memorable day spent with friends…so that’s always fun:-)

3. Sofía says:

So cute!!! Lovely story and can’t wait to see you as a bride… so soon now!

4. man.. hmm I know that I looked at so many magazines, stores and could not find anything.. I did find a VERY reasonable seamstress who would create a custom gown.. gave her my parameters.. and it’s wasn’t overlly froufrou.. the even better part it was simple enough to NOT cost a flipping fortune……….. and when I tried on the first test version of the dress.. that suddenly I realized I looked like a princess.. and everyone in the shop stopped – dead hush in the store…. and I was hooked. I was in such a daze.. that I couldn’t even open the door……. I was just stunned that I looked that great.
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..“Wonderfully Weird” Brings Unique, Brilliant Fashion Designer Shoes!! Kinarian Kindred Guest Blogs #4My Profile

Aww! I love that story, Stevie! I think it’s such a special moment that you’ll carry with you with fondness for the rest of forever!;-) Would love to see your dress!

5. All the dresses look great!
    Matt, Australian photographer recently posted..Famous photographers have me twistedMy Profile

6. Scarlett says:

OH how ADORABLE do you look trying the other one on! I’m SO excited to see THE dress that you chose though!! I’m don’t doubt you’re going to look beautiful xx
    Scarlett recently posted..Nightmares.My Profile

7. Leslie Welch says:

Fairy-tale meeting, courting, proposal….only fit for a fairy-tale dress!
    …and what about the tux???….bridesmaid dresses???…please tell all!!!

8. I made mine! Cream figured brocade with ‘duchess’ sleeves!

9. Maria says:

Now there’s a fun day !

10. Pamela Morse says:

Classy choice with vintage. You will be the most beautiful bride. We all look forward to the wedding.

11. Gorgeous photos! Love the slinky number. I can only imagine the pressures one feels upon planning a wedding in NYC. I have images of mean girls, ladies who lunch, and snooty sales people.

Can’t wait to see the “one.” How great that you’re sharing these special moments, Jess. You will make one beautiful red-lipstick and diamond 20s-ers bride :)
    Linda Esposito recently posted..When Goodbye is the Best BoundaryMy Profile

Thanks Linda!:-) I’m trying to be careful not to turn this into a wedding blog (although, believe me, there’s enough stories for one!), but will definitely be sharing the highlights of the planning!;-) Happy to have you following along!

12. Eeeek! Success! I can’t w-a-i-t to see the pictures of the dress on the day! :-) Aw, how exciting (and I know, you were stressed, but see, it worked out). This is terrific. Now, that you’ve got the dress…shoes. How are we with shoes? They must be fabulous. Congrats, Jess, on the dress. ;-)
    Brainy Pint Sizer recently posted..I didn’t mean to snap, but she hit a nerve.My Profile

Yay, thanks! And I think you will REALLY appreciate the shoes, missy! I’ll make sure I have a closeup shot just for you!;-)

13. Congrats, Jess! That’s exciting! I actually got the first dress I tried on. I went in knowing exactly what I wanted and saw two dresses that fit the profile (found them within 15 minutes), tried the first one I liked best on and said this is it, let’s go. My friends made me try the other one on just because they were so giddy but it just didn’t do it for me. I was ready to check out within 45 minutes of walking in the door. So I’m afraid my story isn’t all that exciting.
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..In Photos: The Temples of Angkor – Ta ProhmMy Profile

That’s amazing, Ellen! The first story I’ve heard about it being the first dress tried on…high five for saving a lot of time, energy, and stress!;-)