4 Simple Goals…Before 2014

One of my favorite inspirational blogs, A Beautiful Mess, posted their 4 simple goals challenge this week.  The purpose is to challenge and remind you to create healthy, life-enriching habits during the busiest time of year.  Since my season seems exceptionally hectic this year (hellloooo December wedding reception!), I thought it would be the perfect time to join in and participate in the fun, tailoring my goals to my NYC-centric lifestyle.  What better way to remind yourself everyday to take joy in the little things?

I’d love for you to join in, too!  Here are the “rules”:

1. Choose simple goals that will make your life richer and happier on a daily basis. Choose things you may not otherwise get done but are not difficult to accomplish.

2. Do not choose result oriented goals. Choose activity oriented goals. For example, instead of “lose 10 pounds”, choose something like “eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day”. Get what I’m saying? Positive actions instead of just the end result!

3. Choose personal goals you believe will truly make your life richer just by doing them! They can be daily, weekly or one time experiences.

4. Choose a reward for each goal as it is accomplished! It can be a small or large reward—it’s up to you.

5. Blog about your goals, each one as you achieve it and a big post when they are all finished before the new year! Be sure to leave us a link to your blog in the comments section. I’ll be sure to share my experiences in a follow-up post before the new year.

These are my goals for the season.  The first has been something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time, and I’m so excited to find a charity that aligns with a cause I’m passionate about that I can be involved in for years to come.

The second is something I’ve been wishing to do since I was, ohh, about five years old.  This will be my first Thanksgiving spent in NYC, so I look forward to experiencing the parade up close and personal.

My third goal is a big one: I have endless amounts of photos and ticket stubs that are stored in a shoebox in my closet, and I’m excited to finally make the time to put them into my scrapbook, as I know I’ll get much more enjoyment from them this way.

And finally, after reading the book “Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris“, I am super energized to pare my wardrobe down to 10 simple pieces I’ll get the most use out of.  The thought of a non-cluttered closet going into 2014 is exceptionally exciting to me!

I’m so excited to hear what your goals are!  Please link to your blog post, or share in the comments section below!

xx,

Jess

16 Responses to “4 Simple Goals…Before 2014”

1. Phew re the lots of wiggle room on the wardrobe! Would just love to get it down to one closet!!

2. Love the concept. and I could do 3. but the 10 item wardrobe.. not so much. unless I did 10 for each season!
    :-)
    Stevie
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..FRAGments #4: Indie Fragrance Event S/S 2013 #Podcast! Velvet & Sweet Pea’s Purrfumery & Jolie Laide!My Profile

Haha, yes I wasn’t very clear on that…it is 10 for each season, so essentially 40 items, not counting staples such as shoes, coats, or everyday t-shirts or camis. So there is quite a bit of wiggle room;-)

3. OK I’ll have a think about it, it is a good challenge!
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..A Wine Workshop in Mayfair – 28-50 Wine and Food Kitchen, Maddox Street.My Profile

4. memographer says:

Great idea, Jess! Would you scan/photograph a few pages of your coming scrapbook? I would really love to see it!!

I am setting up goals for 2014 and didn’t think that there is plenty of time left in 2013. One of my goals for the rest of this year will be the publishing of two photo books from trips to South America and Europe.
    memographer recently posted..Photo of Bridesmaid Looking for Snack in FridgeMy Profile

Absolutely! I plan to share a post about it once it’s basically done;-)

And I LOVE the idea of publishing your photo books! You are such a talented photographer, this will be great fun to see!

5. A wonderful idea, and a great idea to start working towards the goals now! A ten-item wardrobe certainly sounds difficult though! I don’t think I would even know how to start that! I’ve always wanted to attend the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade- I’m sure that will be so much fun!
    Casey @ A Cruising Couple recently posted..Costa Rica Wildlife | Intimate Encounters Around Arenal VolcanoMy Profile

Haha, I’ve already started with the closet cleanse, and it’s definitely NOT easy! But living in NYC, space is a precious commodity, and even if I can’t get it down to 10 items, I’m definitely excited to have less clutter!;-)

6. Agness says:

I love this post and I can totally relate to it! I promised myself to collect all of my photos from travels and stick them into my scrapbook. I would also love to do more charity work, but it’s kinda hard in China :-//. Good luck with your goals, I can you can achieve them all <3.
    Agness recently posted..Postcards from CreteMy Profile

Thanks so much, Agness! And that’s a great idea to scrapbook your travel photos, you have so many beautiful ones! xx

What a fantastic idea and actually a lot of fun. You have me thinking about my goals that I either need to set or that I’ve been proscratinating on. I love how you have it set up from a cup half full, positive perspective. And that would be so awesome to go the Thanksgiving Day Parade, Jess! :)
    Mike recently posted..My Top 10 +1 Favorite Robert Downey Jr MoviesMy Profile

Yeah! I feel like it’s a great way to go out with a bang in 2013…while already starting the new year having accomplished some good stuff:-)

8. Maria says:

This is a wonderful challenge – just starting with 4, simple goals sounds easy enough and certainly, if they can be incorporated during the holiday season there’s an increased chance they’ll stick around after the lights come down and the tree goes out for recycling.
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Ogoh-ogohMy Profile