UYC’s Walks: A Blustery Stroll Down 5th Avenue

One of my favorite traditions during the holiday season is walking down 5th Avenue, taking in all the store windows, and ending at Rockefeller Center to see the tree.  This year it happened on a blustery Tuesday night…we were graced with snow during the first half of the day, but by nightfall all that was left was nippy Christmas wind!

Starting at 58th Street, first up is Bergdorf Goodman.  The theme this year is “Holidays On Ice”, and each window showcases a special non-Christmas holiday.  The pink saturated Valentine’s Day window is by far my favorite.

Tiffany & Co on 57th Street did a particularly adorable job this year with dollhouse-size buildings adorned with the iconic little blue boxes.  My favorite party of this intersection isn’t the diamonds (shocking, I know!), but rather the giant UNICEF sparkling snowflake that is suspended at the intersection.  I always refer to it as a bit of Tiffany’s frosting.

Henri Bendel got quite whimsical this year on 56th Street, paying tribute to caricaturist Al Hirschfeld.  The windows are adorned with caricatures of folks you know and love, Woody Allen, Sarah Jessica Parker, Marilyn Monroe, and my favorite, Audrey Hepburn.  Bravo, Bendels!

Keep perusing down 5th and you’ll reach Saks at 50th Street, which showcases the Yeti Snow Workshop.  Starting at the beginning, the windows follow the story of a little yeti who leaves his family in Siberia to make it as an artist in NYC (does that story sound all too familiar to anyone else?!)  Take a walk across the street, and you’ll see the snowflake light show come to life on the facade of Saks after dark.  Truly magical for kids and adults of all ages!

And of course…you made it!  Directly across the street from Saks is the Rockefeller Christmas Tree!  My holiday season has officially begun!

We’d love to know…what holiday traditions do you most look forward to every December?  Share below!

Comments
16 Responses to “UYC’s Walks: A Blustery Stroll Down 5th Avenue”
  1. Scarlett says:

This post has made me feel SO christmassy! xx
    Scarlett recently posted..Oh, hey there sports fans.My Profile

2. Such a great series of photos. How cold was this? I think the windows are amazing. Glad
    to see you back
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Get into the Holiday DIY Spirit. Project #2: Make a Wreath–from #Volvo!My Profile

3. First, congrats on your elopement (saw via Instagram). What a gorgeous couple! And so smart to do this b/4 the official hoopla.

I always feel like I’m “there” when I come here. I hope me and the kid can meetup for coffee (and hot chocolate) when we come to NYC in October 2014. Although, after viewing the Rockefeller Christmas Tree, we just may reconsider a winter stay…
    Linda Esposito (@TalkTherapyBiz) recently posted..17 Tips and Tools to Manage Financial Stress and AnxietyMy Profile

We would LOVE to meet for coffee, done and done!:-)

And thank you so much! We wanted the ceremony to remain intimate, so decided to do it just us 2 and our parents, and surprise everyone else later!;-) Full story to come!

4. Maria says:

Oh what a trip! Love the windows – always a wonderful moment any time of the year but especially so right now.
    They really don’t hold back with the Christmas windows.
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – ReflectionMy Profile

Yes, such a treat to look at them! I feel like one of the best jobs in the world has to belong to the folks that design them!;-)

5. Kevin says:

Either your fiancé is a giant or you’re pretty tiny. :) (Or both.)
    Kevin recently posted..You’ve Got to Love this BlogMy Profile

First off, I’m so thrilled to see back from your break and posting regularly again, Jess! As you know I absolutely love your blog! Your pictures are amazing! The Holiday On Ice and Valentine’s Day art work are in mind-boggingly awesome! I put on a persona of being a Scrooge at Christmas time. But, those who truly know me and have experienced Mike are aware that I go into high gear with giving to friends. So, that would be my “tradition”. Plus, it’s impossible to be frumpy with a Golden Retriever :)
    Mike recently posted..My Top 10 +1 Favorite Christmas MoviesMy Profile

So true! Our furry friends certainly know how to keep us in check, especially around the holidays! (My little guy just loves mini-bones and cute holiday sweaters…or maybe it’s me that likes the sweaters!;-)

7. Wonderful photos. For me, actually probably christmas lunch. Venison this year, I shall be cooking for my brothers and family
    fiona maclean recently posted..The Golden Goose Dinner on the Hispaniola, River ThamesMy Profile

8. Ally says:

Sadly, I’ve never been to NYC, but LOVED seeing these pics. Very cool to see it through someone’s eyes. We’re in a new town this year for the first time in, well, forever. So it sometimes feels like we’re starting over with traditions – we’re in exploration mode!
    Ally recently posted..My Christmas ListMy Profile

What a fun way to spend the holiday season, Ally! Wishing you all the best as you explore your new town and happy holidays!:-)