NYC’s 5 Must Try Vegetarian Pasta Dishes

In a city that lays claim to not one but TWO Little Italy’s, weeding through Italian restaurants for the city’s most noteworthy veggie-friendly pasta is no easy feat.  However, over my 8+ years in NYC, these are the dishes that continuously have me going back for more.

1. Goat Cheese Ravioli, $22*

Nestled in the basement of The Plaza Hotel, The Todd English Food Hall is home to probably my FAVORITE dish in all of NYC.  The ravioli is paired with baby beets and a basil pesto sauce, packing an incredible flavor.

2. Corn Gnudi, $19*

Newcomer on the block, Quality Italian Steakhouse, boasts a dish that is rare in the world of pasta…(well, at least pasta that tastes good!)…vegan friendly corn gnudi.  A soft dumpling of sorts, topped with pistachio, basil and black pepper, it’s certainly the best dish I’ve ever ordered at a steakhouse.

3. Zucchini and Heirloom Tomato Lasagna, $24

Gramercy Park’s raw, organic restaurant has another one for the vegans: Pure Food and Wine’s zucchini pasta is so good, it will have your meat eating counterparts throwing out compliments left and right, proclaiming, “I never thought rabbit food could taste this good!” (Or at least that’s what my dining companions were saying!)  Nestled in a basil pistachio pesto with sun-dried tomato marinara, and stuffed with a macadamia pumpkin seed ricotta, it’s truly a pasta worth experiencing.

4. Granny Smith Apple Ravioli, $22

One of my favorite restaurants in the Meat Packing District offers not only a stunning indoor garden dining experience, but a pasta dish infused with fruit that is simply to die for.  Revel’s apple ravioli is set in a beef ragout, but they’re very accommodating with making it sans meat.  I first tried this dish back in 2009, and have been ordering it every time we go here ever since.

5. Pumpkin and Sage Ravioli, $14

My best foodie memory of living up in Inwood comes from trips to The Garden Cafe, where I would order pumpkin ravioli in a garlic cream sauce be it fall, winter, spring or summer…a dish so titillating to the tastebuds, it knows no seasonal boundaries.  Seriously so tasty, that since moving downtown I’ve actually made the trek on the A train to the very last stop (207th Street!), to reunite with this beloved dish.  (Please note: the below photo is not the dish from the Garden Cafe, but looks similar!)

I’d love to know…what is your very favorite veggie pasta dish?  Share below!

*Smaller (and cheaper!) appetizer sized portions are available upon request.

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travlers Sandbox.

Comments
40 Responses to “NYC’s 5 Must Try Vegetarian Pasta Dishes”
  1. Everything looks stunning and I would eat everything there. I think the veggie lasagna is very creative. I love heirloom tomatoes! My favorite vegetarian dish for pasta? Hmm choosing just one is impossible.I cook a fair amt of Italian.. and I like that veggies make the dish lighter and with more texture
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..SAG Awards! Hot TrendSpotting by Amy Nadine & Kylee Heath!My Profile

2. Marisol says:

Hi Jess, such mouth-watering choices. I’ve been to places # 1, 3, 4 but haven’t tried the dishes you featured. Will make a note of them for next time. My favorite vegetarian peston dish is the real Lingurian pesto. So deliciouso.
    Marisol recently posted..Trongsa, The Center of BhutanMy Profile

3. Everything looks so yummy. I’ve had Pumpkin and Sage Ravioli at other restaurants and always like the combination of flavors. The Goat Cheese Ravioli is one I’m interested in trying, especially with its baby beets.
    Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..Snapshots from Singapore Changi AirportMy Profile

4. Wow! These all look absolutely delicious! I want to try the Granny Smith Apple ravioli – what an interesting idea.
    Cindy – thetravelgal recently posted..Marrakech’s Magical Majorelle in MoroccoMy Profile

5. budget jan says:

I love the look of the Corn Gnudi above. Gorgonzola and Pear Ravioli at the Woki Organic Market in Barcelona is the best vege pasta dish I have tasted. Mouth Watering!
    budget jan recently posted..Cambodia – Slow travel and Unfinished BusinessMy Profile

6. Marcia says:

Great list, Jessica! I’m not vegetarian but these look so delicious, I’m tempted to try them all!
    Now, where should I start?
    Marcia recently posted..Gingerbread Houses, JamaicaMy Profile

7. noel morata says:

so glad I was able to savor all those dishes without gaining an ounce, although a real taste would be sooooo goooood!
    noel morata recently posted..Photo travel destinations to visit in 2014 from travel bloggers around the worldMy Profile

8. We stayed just down the road from Quality Italian Steakhouse on our last trip but missed the opportunity we had to eat there! Had I seen your picture of the corn gnudi , it might have been a different story! it looks absolutely delicious! Next time!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Eating in London’s East EndMy Profile

9. Muza-chan says:

These look extremely tasty…

10. Well, all of these dishes look fabulous, but I’m going for the goat cheese ravioli. Pasta, veggies and cheese are always a good combination.

11. Agness says:

One serving of Granny Smith Apple Ravioli for me, please! :-D That must be heaven!
    Agness recently posted..5 Free Things To Do In Copenhagen, DenmarkMy Profile

12. Freya says:

I’m not a big fan of vegetarian dishes but these look all delicious. You for sure made me hungry now.
    Freya recently posted..Top 5 things to do in Cusco PeruMy Profile

13. Scarlett says:

Yes yes yes! Thi makes me want to jump on a plane right now!! xx
    Scarlett recently posted..How to be happy.My Profile

14. I love those gnudi. Pasta is a great partner to veggie food so it’s hard to pick something. I’ve taken to making lunch with a little fresh pasta cooked up and some goats cheese and rocket stirred through, topped off with a few walnuts. Very delicious and simple
    fiona maclean recently posted..Review: The Beaufort at Ellenborough ParkMy Profile

That sounds delicious, Fiona! Goat cheese is a staple in my fridge, and I love the idea of finishing with walnuts!

15. Agness says:

I must admit the prices are so high, but the food looks so appealing. I would dig into Goat Cheese Ravioli for sure! Real yum! Haven’t had cheese for months.
    Agness recently posted..What Is Today’s Backpacker And Why There Is a Need For New NameMy Profile

Haha, cheese is SO hard to come by in Asia, right?! I’m certain that’s one of the reason everyone is so thin!;-)

16. You should issue a disclaimer not to read on an empty stomach! Since I eat very little meat, I’m always on the lookout for tasty vegetarian dishes. Try as I do to combine EVOO, (good) balsamic, finely chopped rosemary, salt and pepper, my roasted vegetables never taste as good as the restaurants.

Wow. The pumpkin ravioli is talking to me and it’s not yet 9 am. And I agree w Kevin — time to learn to make my own!
    Linda Esposito (@TalkTherapyBiz) recently posted..What’s Killing the Psychotherapy Profession, and Why You Should Be WorriedMy Profile

Mmm, that does sound like an excellent combination, Linda! Finely chopped herbs can go a long way in creating a great dish!

I’m addicted to opening up restaurant links, then the attached menu link, in any food post. And this just about sent me over the edge, Jess! When I was married she was a vegetarian and made pasta all…of…the…time. It was amazing! If I had to pick one personal favorite or go-to it would be stuffed tortellini. I can absolutely gorge myself on bowls of it! What I’m fascinated by here is that Corn Gnudi. I’m going to immediately see if I can find some recipes for that after I click Submit! :)
    Mike recently posted..$200 Giveaway To Celebrate Our One Year Blog Anniversary!My Profile

Yes the gnudi is seriously incredible! Let me know if you find any noteworthy recipes, I would LOVE to recreate this at home!

18. My love for veg friendly food and culinary exploration has been rekindled. These dishes are so artistic that it’s tough to put a price/value on them. Although you do get what you pay for. :-)
    Mike | Earthdrifter recently posted..Marching to the Mirador in Moquegua and up Cerro BaulMy Profile

Thanks for stopping by, Mike! Haha, if I was a better cook I would love to recreate these at home for a fraction of the cost…maybe in 2014 I’ll give it a whirl;-)

19. Kevin says:

Nice that you featured some vegetarian fare. Tempted to learn how to make my own ravioli at those prices.
    Kevin recently posted..Fighting Foods That Make Us WeakMy Profile

20. Maria says:

Zucchini and Heirloom Tomato Lasagna sounds like heaven!
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Soft ExplosionsMy Profile