New Yorker Moments: Small Traditions

I’ve been reading a lot of New Year’s resolutions on various blogs this month (so inspiring!), so wanted to share my simple resolution intention for 2014.

Make meaningful, small traditions.

Growing up, traditions were always huge in my house: from big ones like sitting on the hearth with my sisters every Christmas morning in our matching pj’s, to smaller ones like my mom leaving inspirational quotes in my lunch box from Kindergarden through 12th grade (so not kidding!), this is the stuff that memories are made of.  Being newly married, I’m so excited to begin some of our own family traditions.  Here’s what I got so far:

A Sentence A Day

As a wedding gift, my sister gave me this adorable Every Day: A Five-Year Memory Book, in which you write one sentence, every day, for 5 whole years.  I love that it’s a tiny time commitment, but will hold a wealth of everyday moments that would otherwise be easily forgettable as time goes on.

Monthly Dinner Parties

A chef I am definitely not, so I’m thankful to have a culinary wizard friend who has inspired me to be more adventurous in the kitchen.  In order to up the “fun” level of this even more, we decided to do monthly themed dinner parties, and alternate hosting.  Every month we pick a theme (French, Mexican, Comfort Food, Green Food, Carb Fest) and and take turns entertaining, movie or game night included.  (One guess: Is the below photo from my dinner party or my friend’s?;-)

Wine Corks

I’ve long been a fan of keeping wine corks after a memorable bottle of vino and conversation, but recently I’ve begun noting on the corks what the celebration was.  From the bigger moments, “engagement anniversary!”, to the smaller moments, “finished Gossip Girl!”, this is an easy way to celebrate the little stuff.

The Annual Holiday Valentine’s Day Card

Because I was swamped in December with wedding festivities, I didn’t get a chance to send out the annual holiday card.  So I thought…”why not send Valentine’s Day cards instead?”  Low and behold, I ordered super cute couple’s stationary that’s dripping with pink (perfect for V-Day, no?!), and will be sending all our besties sweet cards every February.  Receiving snail mail is always fun, especially when it’s not exactly expected.

Early Breakfast

Because of our hectic schedules, the hubby and I don’t often see each other until late in the evening, when that NYC exhaustion has already kicked in.  We recently started rising at an insane hour early, early in the morning to have breakfast together, and I have to say, it’s been one of the best decisions ever.  That small 15 minute window of coffee and conversation really kicks the day off on a happy note.

Do you have any tried and true traditions of your own?  Or any 2014 resolutions/intentions?  Share below!

xx,

Jess

Comments
20 Responses to “New Yorker Moments: Small Traditions”
  1. I like the idea of rotating dinner parties- that way no one get hooked with cooking all the time. I miss my monthly events with a women’s group as well as bff’s and it’s a lack that we all notice. Just haven’t solved the problem yet.
    I like your concept of the breakfast. (who made that? It looks yummy!)
    I have no idea if you cooked that meal but I hesitate that it wasn’t you. To me it looks Mexican which I don’t know if you have tackled that style of food yet. If it’s Italian it might be you– except the proliferation of plates make me wonder if that’s your table.
    I love your V-day idea.. and that’s a GREAT way to touch base post wedding!
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Leonor Greyl Picks Up Fans in Keira Knightley and Chloe Grace Moretz starring “Laggies” PremiereMy Profile

Aww I hope you get your monthly group back up and going, Stevie! I find it’s always fun to have something to look forward to on a regular, consistent basis, and it’s great to have a solid group of friends like that!

Haha, my friend made that (french onion soup) for our French themed dinner party;-) I’m hosting this month: the theme will be “comfort food”, and I’m super excited to try out the idea of a baked potato bar!

2. Mette says:

In my experience traditions are the bricks of a long loving family life, and these are so inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
    Mette recently posted..Beef leek stew with chickpeasMy Profile

3. Love these traditions – especially the V-day cards. Everyone sends holiday cards, but V-day – who ever thinks to send cards?! Plus, it would be nice for single friends to get a thoughtful card on this lovers’ holiday. I also love that you guys are getting up for breakfast together in the mornings. My husband and I are on opposite schedules, so early morning breakfasts together are out of the question. But I’ve been making more of an effort to stay up late so that we can catch up with each other when he gets home.
    Dana Carmel @ Time Travel Plans recently posted..Snacks & Street FoodMy Profile

It’s so much fun to get mail…pretty much my favorite thing! I’m really looking forward to this tradition:-)

And that’s so sweet that you wait for him at night, so important to get those few minutes of quality time whenever you can!

4. Kevin says:

I love the idea of the memory book. I always say, you’re newlyweds for the first 5 years. I know someone who is getting married in a couple of weeks. This could make a nice gift for them too. Thanks for sharing.
    Kevin recently posted..Our Readers Are Awesome!My Profile

5. I keep meaning to go back to regular dinner parties/supper parties! It’s a great way to keep up with friends and (in my case) make sure I tidy the flat!!!
    fiona maclean recently posted..5:2 Diet Recipe – Thai FishcakesMy Profile

6. Maria says:

No Jess, but if that’s breakfast – I’ll be there tomorrow at 06:00
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Traveling with SweeneyMy Profile

Traditions are so awesome and you have the great opportunity to blend both of your’s now. That one sentence a day gift is so unique and what a wonderful gift, Jess! Excellent call on making the time to spend 15 minutes together in the morning. I wish more couples would do that regardless of their schedules. Btw…is that French Onion soup?? :)
    Mike recently posted..$200 Giveaway To Celebrate Our One Year Blog Anniversary!My Profile

8. My best friends and I lost touch during college so once we all moved back we started a potluck tradition. Every month or two we get together to catch up, it’s the best.
    Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life recently posted..Shake Your Money Maker: Taking ActionMy Profile

9. Heather says:

I love the idea of writing the occasion on the wine cork! I came across a bunch I’d kept, but had no idea what they represented and ended up tossing them. I also love the idea of getting up early to share breakfast with your hubby. Now that I work from home, I tend to stay up really late and sleep in in the mornings. I know I will feel better if I can turn that bad habit around – thanks for the inspiration!
    Heather recently posted..China Couture: Having Clothes Made in ShanghaiMy Profile