Wanderlust Wednesday: 10 Bloggers Share Their Most Anticipated Trip Of 2014

Samuel Johnson once said, “All travel has its advantages.  If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own.  And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.”  At UsedYorkCity, it’s no secret that we love to explore our city and its many pocket neighborhoods nestled throughout…but a close runner-up is traveling both near and far to other places to immerse ourselves in the culture, food, and lifestyles of other countries, cities, and villages…after all, these experiences only make us grow as people and be better contributing members to our own community, right?

We were so happy to talk to some of our favorite travel bloggers to hear what places they’re most looking forward to checking out in 2014!  Inspirational?  I think yes!

1. Iraq

In 2014 I am most looking forward to visiting Iraq. I’ve had a lot of countries on my list the last few years and am looking forward to finally stepping foot in Iraq – a country which is always on the news for the wrong reasons. I’m aiming to put things right and tell things how they are in Iraq. I’ll be visiting the Kurdistan region. I’m pretty sure the local people will be nice and welcoming, the countryside will be gorgeous and the food will be good. If you keep up with my blog, check my Backpacking in Iraq Section for my updates.

I’m looking forward specifically to seeing the ruined fortress at Amadiya, the city of Erbil and the former horror house of Saddam Hussein in Sulimaniyeh, which has now been turned into a museum. Safe travels.

Jonny from Don’t Stop Living

Photo Credit: Michael Yamashita

2. Thailand

I’m looking forward most to visiting Thailand this year. I have never been to this country and people boast about its beauty and amazing food. Can’t wait to explore what Thailand has to offer for me.

Aggy from Dream Explore Wander

Photo Credit: Kittipong Faengsrikum

3. Haida Gwaii, Canada

I have a lot of travel planned for 2014, primarily in Canada. The trip that makes me most excited and the one that I hope lives up to my expectations is a week-long kayaking trip to Haida Gwaii, formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands, located off the coast of British Columbia.

The plan is to kayak down the coast (returning by Zodiac) exploring the intertidal life as we go. Included will be a trip to see the mortuary poles at SGang Gwaay Llnagaay (formerly Ninstints), a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There should be plenty of time for beachcombing, wildlife viewing and just lazing on the beautiful but rugged west coast beaches. I’m so looking forward to exploring this wild part of Canada, a corner of the world so few people see and for the chance to be 100% unplugged for over a week.

Leigh from HikeBikeTravel

Photo Credit: Gunter Marx/HI/Alamy

4. El Nido, Philippines

One of the travel destinations I’m most looking forward to traveling to in 2014 is El Nido island in the Philippines. Since I’ve read the guest post written for us by fellow travel bloggers of Goats on the Road, Nick and Darience, on how to travel in El Nido for less than $25, I knew I wanted to go there. The Philippines is a stunning archipelago consisting of over 7000 islands so there is so much to see and do here. I’ve heard so many great stories about locals being extremely polite and friendly to travelers. Moreover, I’m one of the biggest fans of Filipino cuisine so I just can’t wait to dig into a mango salad and grilled fish.

El Nido itself is a paradise on Earth with stunning beaches and breath-taking sunrises. It terms of activities, the island is jam-packed with things to do, for example hiking, scuba-diving and various island hopping tours. I could start my day with drinking some coconut, then go jogging across the beach to  finish off my day with a deep meditation in the jungle! I’ve already booked my flight tickets and I’ll land there in February 4th so wish me bon voyage!

Agness from eTramping

Photo Credit: John Callahan

5. Costa Rica

I cannot wait to go to back to Costa Rica in late February or March. It’s one of my favorite countries ever and have loads of friends over there so it will be really cool to reconnect after almost 2 years. I will revisit some familiar places and also check out many new ones. I might even do the rafting on Pacuare river again and finally visit Arenal volcano.

Alex from Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler

Photo Credit: Lucas J. Gilman/Aurora Photos

6. Belgium

I’m most looking forward to getting to Europe in 2014, particularly Belgium. Spring in Europe is always fantastic with its mild breezes, flowers and verdant fields, but 2014 marks the 100 year anniversary of the outbreak of WWI. As a Canadian, I’m interested in getting to the sites like Ypres to soak up the history and better understand the role our country played in these battles that ravaged the country.

Jody from Travels With Baggage

Photo Credit: Joe Patronite

7. Brazil

This is a really hard question for us as we have so many new places lined up for 2014! If we have to choose just one though, we’ll go with Brazil. We have tickets to a World Cup match, which has been on our bucket list for years now. Dan played soccer all through his life, so the chance to attend the World Cup is like a dream come true! Casey also studied a bit of Brazilian politics and culture at University, so it will be an exciting place for her to visit firsthand. We will be flying to Brazil in early June, more than likely staying for a few months. We hope to use the time to not only cheer on the soccer games, but also volunteer, visit the Amazon, and travel extensively through the country!

Casey from A Cruising Couple

Photo Credit: Christian Heeb

8. Japan

I’m really looking forward to visiting Japan in 2014 for the exclusive purpose of exploring the food. Japanese food has been an obsession of mine for many years and I’m excited to learn about and taste the enticing dishes Japan has to offer.

Mark from Migrationology

Photo Credit: Nico Pepito

9. Africa

In April, I’m doing a month long boat trip along the west coat of Africa with G Adventures. We’ll be visiting South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Republic of Congo, Sao Tome and Principe, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, The Gambia, Western Sahara, Canary Islands and Morocco!

Gary from Everything-Everywhere

Photo Credit: Jen Eudy

10. Towns Within Driving Distance To NYC

While I love, love, love city life, a quick weekend getaway can be oh-so-refreshing for the mind, body, and soul.  This year, I’m looking forward to exploring cute towns, their local mom-and-pops’, and sleepy B&B’s that are within easy access of New York.  Local living at its best!

Jess from Used York City

Photo Credit: Cathy Myers

Whether you plan a weekend trip close to home, or hop online and book a ticket to a remote island on the other side of the world, we hope that this provides inspiration for you to take advantage of your vacation time and book YOUR ideal trip for 2014!

Where are you most looking forward to traveling to this year?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Comments
46 Responses to “Wanderlust Wednesday: 10 Bloggers Share Their Most Anticipated Trip Of 2014”
  1. So killer great ! there are so many places that I have wanted to go that are on this list. Too many to list here but some new ones to be added that I hadn’t thought about
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Behind the Scenes: Kendrick Lamar Is Up for Best New Artist, Grammys 2014 Part 1 of 4. #VideoMy Profile

2. What a lot of great trips to look forward to! I’m really not sure how my year is going to turn out. Have some great dreams, but there not yet real plans. Not sure how anything could beat my travels of 2013. I’ll be happy if 2014 is even close!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Best of Budapest: Spa in the CityMy Profile

Sometimes after a super busy year of travel, it’s nice to enjoy a little R and R in your hometown too…a day trip to a local museum or graden can even be super refreshing!:-)

3. I’m hoping to visit Bolivia and Antigua this year. If one of the two happens I’ll be thrilled. I’ve done my bucket list for 2014 so fingers crossed for me
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Travel with London-UnattachedMy Profile

4. That is a fantastic list. I’ve already been to some of these places, and it planted some new ideas in my head. I’ve been thinking of going to the Philippines this year to visit extended family, so perhaps a side trip to El Nido is a possibility. I am most excited about visiting Cambodia sometime in the next few months.
    Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..Modern Art and Confusion at the Pompidou CentreMy Profile

You will LOVE Cambodia! We just returned from the holidays there, and it is one of my favorite countries visited thus far:-) Excited to hear what you think!

5. Heather says:

I’m actually moving to Eastern Europe this summer and cannot wait to explore some new-to-me-countries!
    Heather recently posted..Drinking Bulls Blood Wine in Eger, HungaryMy Profile

6. Decisions, decisions, decisions! It’s so hard choosing where to go and now there’s been a few more fabulous places mentioned! I’m scared I’m gong to run out of time to see everything I want to see! As for us, we’re heading to Israel this year!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Istanbul’s Stunning Chora MuseumMy Profile

Israel! That’s incredible! A place that’s certainly at the top of my list, I can’t wait to read about your adventures:-)

I totally enjoy the posts where the have bloggers from around the world just as you did here, Jess! Your post gave me the idea even before I read the question at the end. To start taking some pictures of the mini road trips that Phoenix and I take. Thank you and Happy Friday! :)
    Mike recently posted..Add Your Brick to the Great Wall, A Handbook ReviewMy Profile

That’s great, Mike! Gillman goes on all my mini-roadtrips with me, too!:-) And I can imagine there’s so many beautiful spots out west where you guys can day-trip or weekend-trip to, so that’s perfect!

8. budget jan says:

Agness makes me want to visit El Nido, and I am already eager for Africa and Brazil and Japan. And what about IRAQ. Love this post.
    budget jan recently posted..Kampot Sunset at The FrontMy Profile

9. Jenna says:

My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Paris and Normandy this fall. It is our only trip planned thus far for 2014, but it has been my dream since early adolescence to explore Paris and learn more about the culture and city that I’ve been in love with for so long. Being bilingual, I hope that my French language skills are up-to-snuff for Parisians haha!

That’s awesome, Jenna! Or should I say tres magnifique!;-) Next to NYC, Paris is my absolute favorite city I’ve traveled to, there’s something magical in the air that may or may not have to do with the amazing croissants always baking! Have the very best time!

10. Wow!!! where is that in COsta Rica??? does somebody knows????

11. Great collection ! And I especially like the quote by Samuel Johnson “All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” It’s definitly true that traveling will also give you a better understanding about your own country!
    Marine@Green Global Travel recently posted..INTERVIEW: Jeff Greenwald, World’s 1st Travel Blogger & Founder of Ethical TravelerMy Profile

12. noel morata says:

It looks like some amazing trips happening for these guys, I’ll take any of those locations please?
    noel morata recently posted..20 travel tips and advice to make your foreign travel effortlessMy Profile

13. I am actually travelling in South Africa at the moment and I am extremely excited to see that Gary will be travelling to my home country Sierra Leone.
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Skinny Carrot MuffinsMy Profile

14. I look at everything as tentative and have a hard time planning as I’m striving to live in the moment. But, I’m hoping to get over to Uruguay because I’m next door in Argentina now. I’d really like to explore some of the vast region of eastern Europe too. Usually the most interesting places to me are those that I’ve never been to.
    Mke | Earthdrifter recently posted..In the Heart of the AtacamaMy Profile

15. India! I have dreamt of visiting India for a long time now, I feel this year it might become a reality.
    Simon @ Airline Miles Experts recently posted..Is Air Travel Really the Safest Way to Get to Your Destination?My Profile

16. Thanks so much for including us in the round-up. It’s aways fun to see where people are heading!
    Casey @ A Cruising Couple recently posted..How to Hike Corcovado National Park: The Ultimate Jungle AdventureMy Profile

17. Thank you so much for thinking of me in this post too :) All the trips are looking awesome. Enjoy everyone ;)
    Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler recently posted..Fun with Taboo from Black Eyed Peas at Molo Street Parade RiminiMy Profile

18. Mette says:

What an inspiring collection of dream. I haven’t made concrete plans yet, but I’m looking forward seeing a Swedish lake and wood next week.
    Mette recently posted..Bacon wrapped datesMy Profile

19. I’ve been to half of these and I only want more! I’m trying to get out to Europe this year. Oddly enough, I’ve seen a great deal of Asia and South America but very little of the more “traditional” international destinations.
    Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life recently posted..Find Your BeachMy Profile

20. Leigh says:

Jessie – Thanks so much for including the top trip on my wish list. There’s not a single one I wouldn’t love to do – except Costa Rica – and that’s only because I just came back from my 2nd trip there.
    Leigh recently posted..A Stay at La Anita Rainforest Lodge in Costa RicaMy Profile

Thanks so much for participating, Leigh! And I can totally understand that…it is fun to mix the travels up a bit!

21. Maria says:

Great collection of bloggers and travels – so much to check out with this post and folks to follow. Thanks!
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Barcelona PhotoblogMy Profile

22. Agness says:

Thanks for this opportunity to share our travel experience. We’re off to Manila next week, can’t wait!
    Agness recently posted..Stunning Yangshuo River in PhotosMy Profile