New Yorker Moments

What a month!  We kicked off 2014 touring Southeast Asia on our honeymoon, which the hubby managed to keep a secret until we arrived at JFK to the gate for Singapore.  For an over-planner like me, this was seriously the best idea ever, because I didn’t have to organize, stress, or think about a thing the entire trip…it was all planned out for me!  I’ll be sure to share more details and photos in the coming months of each country, but here’s a little something to wet your taste buds from our first stop in Cambodia:

Being back in NYC and settling into our routine sans wedding-prep has been lovely…a huge supply of cold weather here so we’re finding ways to keep warm with lots of indoor activities (read: museums and food with a side of Jay-Z.)

What are your favorite ways to keep busy indoors during the winter?  Share below!

{trying to schlep around in this as little as possible}

{day trip up the hudson to visit the dia beacon}

{that’s totally me getting my rap on at the jay-z concert}

{hosting a comfort food dinner party…cause in weather like this, is there any other kind of food?}

xx,

Jess

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

38 Responses to “New Yorker Moments”

1. if I’m stuck indoors, I certainly love some hot cocoa, CHUNKY SOUP and movies! Or books. Or cuddling and else if the lover is around ;D

where in Cambodia were you staying?! Looks idyllic!

Congratulations on your nuptials, by the way

-Maria Alexandra
    Maria Alexandra @LatinAbroad recently posted..The Ugly Side of Travel: A Human Trafficking StoryMy Profile

Thank you so much! This photo was taken on the island Song Saa, and afterwards we headed to Siem Reap (hellloooo temple hopping!:-)

Excited to check out YOUR blog, too!

2. Scarlett says:

Haha I love the pic of you at Jay-Z – you could totally be the next Rihanna x
    Scarlett recently posted..Gym Rules.My Profile

3. love the comfort food. I did a grilled cheese with bacon on cinnamon raisin bread. YUM

welcome back to life as usual
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Hulu Brings You SuperBowl Commercial Teasers and Leaked Ads!!My Profile

4. many congratulations! Now I think it’s Chilly here in London, but nothing like you get over the other side of the pond! Wrap up and stay warm.
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Healthy Eating – the Salad Kitchen at HarrodsMy Profile

5. The Guy says:

Wonderful picture of Cambodia, it looks like a real dream of a place for a honeymoon. Good on your hubby for organising it all.

As that snow back home, yuk! Quick get a ticket back to Asia, the weather is more appealing.
    The Guy recently posted..Shanghai Must See – China Stopover Points Part 1My Profile

6. Kevin says:

Cune grats! Nothing Southeast Asian about Jay-Z and grilled cheese with hot dogs. Of course, that’s back at home.

7. I’ve always wished to live in a place where we have a change of seasons (not quite like the recent snow you’re getting), but just colder climates to snuggle in! Looking forward to your SE Asia posts…
    Dana Carmel @ Time Travel Plans recently posted..Where to Stay in Granada: Hotel Plaza ColónMy Profile

8. Congratulations Jess! It looks like a very eventful honeymoon to some exotic places. That Cambodia photo looks like pure bliss. That NYC picture is very good image of the Polar Vortex. Your comfort food looks delicious! Looking forward to your honeymoon trip photos.
    Mary {The World Is A Book} recently posted..Whale Watching Adventures in San DiegoMy Profile

9. noel says:

Cambodia…love that country butt I didn’t get a chance to go the beach areas, looks gorgeous and what a time to leave the city!
    noel recently posted..Travel bloggers share a perfect romantic getaway for Valentines dayMy Profile

That Cambodia picture is absolutely spectacular, Jess. I love you contrasted right back to the NYC winter. You guys have had the most brutal season on the Eastern seaboard. My goodness. I love to cook when it’s staying indoors kind of weather. Can’t wait for the upcoming posts of your travels, our friend! :)
    Mike recently posted..Phoenix’s Trip To The Dog Groomer, A FlashbackMy Profile

Yes, nothing cozier than staying home and making yummy food in yucky weather!

Glad you like the Cambodia photos, we literally took over 2K of them!:-)

11. Marcia says:

Congratulations, Jess!
    That is a wonderful surprise. Kudos to your husband for keeping that under wraps until you got to the airport.

I was actually out during the snow a few Tuesdays ago. It took me hours to get to my appointment and back home. It’s not been fun. Been cooking and watching a lot of movies but forced myself out on Monday and yesterday. Enjoy your weekend!
    Marcia recently posted..Super Bowl Boulevard is OpenMy Profile

Kudos to you! It definitely made for a LONG commute home, huh?

Have a wonderful weekend, Marcia!

12. Where in Cambodia is that first photo? It looks fantastic, and I plan to be headed there in a few month. New York, on the other hand, looks cooooooooold.
    Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..Old and New in ParisMy Profile

It’s an island off the coast (about 45 minutes by boat) called Song Saa. Absolutely beautiful, and some of the nicest people we’ve ever met!

13. budget jan says:

What a lovely surprise your husband kept for you. He is a keeper :)

14. Well,congratulations on your newly married status! That first photo is beautiful and I imagine after all the wedding planning and preparations, it was wonderful to sit back, relax and enjoy the honeymoon.

I live in Ohio and we’ve had our share of snow and cold- except there isn’t much to do in our smaller town during the winter months when most of the attractions/museums close for the winter.
    Tonya {The Traveling Praters} recently posted..How many Beer Bottles does it take to Build a House?My Profile

Thank you, Tonya! It was definitely a great way to unwind and kick off the marriage on an adventurous foot!;-)

And sometimes sitting in the house with Netflix and popcorn is the best thing EVER!

15. Leigh says:

Your winter snow shot is superb.

I try to read more in the winter but really I love to be out xcountry skiing and then come home to a good meal and a glass of wine – and perhaps a lounge in a bubble bath if I’m chilled.
    PS What a nice way to start off the year. It’s hard to get back to reality after that.
    Leigh recently posted..A Winter Walking Tour of MontrealMy Profile

Thanks Leigh! It sounds like you have the winter enjoyment under control! Snowshoeing is one of my favorites, so I think cross country skiing could be great to try, too!

16. I’m very envious of you going to Dia! I had this on my to do list for our last trip in New York but we ran out of time, even though we were there just under two weeks! I love seeing New York in winter…at times it looks so romantic in and at other times, it just looks so very, very cold! You certainly found some great ways to keep warm!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Made in BensonhurstMy Profile

It was a very cool museum (more to come in another post!), and also part of a super cute town, which is a fun way to spend a day out of the city, for sure!

17. Heather says:

Ooh I can’t wait to read more about your honeymoon! It must have been really hard to come back to the Polar Vortex after that! I spent five winters living in NYC and the only part I really disliked was climbing over huge piles of dirty snow on my walk to work. I loved going ice skating and taking long walks in Central Park, which looks like a fairyland in the snow!
    Heather recently posted..The Best Meals We Ate in NYC: Northern and Eastern Europe EditionMy Profile

Ahh, the dirty snow! Especially fun when it’s piles of slush, right?;-)

But you’re right…Central Park is a dream when it’s fluffy and white!

18. Mette says:

Cooking, blogging, working and spinning takes up a lot of time. Actually I’d prefer not to go out, when the weather is like in your second photo.
    Mette recently posted..Don’t miss the cave churches near MateraMy Profile