A NY Minute In Beckie’s Apartment
We are so excited to welcome Beckie Stravers to the blog today to share her lovely NYC home with us!
Forest Hills… or as I like to call it, “Deep Queens”
I moved from Astoria (where I’d lived since 2007) in July so… 6 months? Cohabiting in a studio apartment in a new neighborhood with my boyfriend has been an adventure… I think everyone should do it because it’s hilarious, you learn to enjoy alone time with wine in the bathroom.
Finders keepers + the usual flat pack furniture suspects.
What’s your favorite feature of the apartment itself?
Laundry in the building!
1. That old drawer turned bookshelf—found on the street in Brooklyn and carried all the way home on the N train.
2. The yellow mirror—thrifted in Astoria & repainted. When I moved in July out of my apartment with my roommate whom I had lived with for over 5 years, he insisted I take it and give it a new home and I’m so glad it didn’t wind up in the donate pile.
3. All of my books—no kindle, no library, no problem…
4. Those armoire doors turned shelves (sisters of the drawer I think)—long story, my old roommate and I found these on the street and hoarded them for a few years before he added brackets and turned them into shelves one day. Re-hanging these in the Deep Queens apartment almost broke me. (Real talk: I still haven’t sanded and repainted the spackled holes from multiple failed attempts, thank god for photoshop!)
5. Myrtle—she’s the dress form we found on the street and last year I lit her with Christmas lights and it’s pretty great.
What’s your number one tip for NYC living?
A good commute and natural light are worth the rent so get those in whatever size variation and neighborhood you can afford: oh, and purge each season.
Want to share your NYC apartment on the site? Drop us a note at email@example.com!