UYC’s Kitchen: 5 Veggie Homemade Soups To Get You Through The Winter

When the bone-chilling cold winter weather hits, I’m all about the soups.  The best thing about these huge pots is that you can fix one up on Sunday, and have plenty to nosh off of all week.  Busy New Yorker’s best friend?  I think yes.

Here’s a few favorites that circulate through my kitchen until the frost stops:

Ginger + Lime Carrot Soup (my very favorite from this list!)

Classic Lentil Soup

Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup

Butternut Bisque

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

Another perk: a whole pot of one of these costs about the same to throw together as buying an individual serving from our beloved NYC soup-centric restaurants (Hale and Hearty, I’m talking to you!)  Kudos for saving money and staying warm, NYC!

What’s your favorite cold weather soup?  Share below!

14 Responses to “UYC’s Kitchen: 5 Veggie Homemade Soups To Get You Through The Winter”

1. Agness says:

I’m glad I came across this post as I was lacking some ideas for today’s dinner. Recently, I’ve been craving homemade soups and a lot of fresh veggies so I will try to find the recipe for your pumpkin soup. The food looks delicious by the way!
    Agness recently posted..5 Tips On How To Travel Central America On The CheapMy Profile

I hope you enjoy it, Agness! (And all the recipes are linked to the names!;-)

I’m so terribly sorry for getting over here so late this week, Jess! Definitely not intentional! You nailed my fav cold weather soup that I was going to mention – creamy, cheesy Potato soup. Yummy and yes please :)
    Mike recently posted..Top 10 Steven Spielberg Movies – Getting Started With Part IMy Profile

3. Kevin says:

Soups for winter? Living in Los Angeles, I keep forgetting it’s winter. I thought it was spring. ;)

4. Scarlett says:

Oh my god I need to make the pumpkin one, or better yet how about you make it for me & post it over ;) x
    Scarlett recently posted..TV drinking gamesMy Profile

5. Your ginger lime sounds AMAZING!! I want that. I tend to like hot tomato soup with a serious jolt of spice – ginger, salsa, chipotle – something.
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..GRIMALDI’S PIZZERIA Opens First West Coast Location and Pulls in Crowds for Killer Pizza!My Profile

6. Heather says:

YUM! I love making soups in the winter. I usually alternate between creamy broccoli and white bean, curried carrot, and roasted red pepper and tomato with chilies. That last one has some nice zip for especially cold days. I can’t wait to give your ginger/lime/carrot soup a try!
    Heather recently posted..36 Hours in TokyoMy Profile

7. you know I am a huge soup fan! I agree with the comment – so cheap to throw together and they make great standbys.!
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Simple 5:2 Diet Tomato Sauce -with Non-Diet Sausages;)My Profile