5 Ways To Find Your Inner Leprechaun In NYC

Good beer, Irish whisky, pubs, and lots of green. Yes. We all follow these traditions but what is St. Patrick’s Day really about? The first thing we can all do to find out inner leprechaun here in NYC is to educate ourselves!

The History

St. Patrick’s Day is an Irish celebration of Saint Patrick. Saint Patrick was actually not an Irish native. He was born in Roman Britain and brought to Ireland as a slave when he was 16-years-old. He later escaped but returned to make his mark on history. The legend goes that Saint Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland and explained the Holy Trinity using the three leaves of the Irish clover, the Shamrock. The celebration has been going strong since the day of Patrick’s death on March 17th, 461.

The Feast

On St. Patrick’s Day all lent prohibitions are lifted including meat and alcohol consumption. The traditional meal of celebration is corned beef and cabbage. The Landmark Tavern on 11th Ave at West 46th Street is known for their traditional Irish style including this traditional dish. On Monday nights, they bring the Irish tunes to you live from 8pm to 11pm.

The Beer

If we don’t know anything else about St. Patrick’s Day, we all know that the beer is immensely important. Mustang Harry’s is known as one of the best sports bars in the city but there is so much more to offer with their motto “good food and good spirits”. The Irish owned and employed bar is filled with think Irish accents and Irish Whiskeys and beers.

The Music

Traditional Irish music is a great portion of the celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. Paddy Reilly’s Music Bar on 2nd Ave is the place to be for all traditional Irish music. Each day has a specific theme at Paddy’s and each day has one thing in common: it’s live! Steven Duggan has been dedicated to bringing authentic Irish music to NYC since 1986; even the knotted flooring was transported from an Irish hotel! Paddy’s is a comforting environment for all musicians of all levels. This is the perfect place to find some Irish culture through music and a couple of beers.

The Celebration

The Saint Patrick’s Day parade has been marching down 5th Ave on Saint Patrick’s Day for over 250 years! Run entirely by volunteers, the parade has become a non-profit organization for all New Yorkers to enjoy.  The parade will begin at 11am on 44th street and will continue on to 79th street.  If you cant make it, the parade will be streaming live on the website and on NBC channel 4.  There’s honestly no better way to celebrate!

What are your favorite ways to celebrate St. Patty’s Day?  Share below!

By: Denise Pina

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

23 Responses to “5 Ways To Find Your Inner Leprechaun In NYC”

1. Nancie says:

Koreans don’t really know much about St. Patricks Day, so unless I go to the foreigners section of Seoul I don’t really get to
    celebrate. However, I always wear green!
    Nancie recently posted..Lennon and Love Locks on Prague’s Kampa IslandMy Profile

2. Scarlett says:

Haha LOVE this. I’ve always wanted to spend Paddy’s in new york!! Xx
    Scarlett recently posted..The best kid’s cartoon conspiraciesMy Profile

3. The foodie in me is def excited by the Irish feast. Looks very delish
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Wild Garlic and Sesame Noodle SaladMy Profile

4. Heather says:

Aw, I miss seeing the Empire State Building turn green! That was always my favorite part of the holiday :-)
    Heather recently posted..Walking With Dinosaurs at the National Museum of Natural HistoryMy Profile

Haha, don’t feel bad, I live just a few blocks from it and totallllyyyy missed it last night, too! Bad New Yorker:-)

5. Marcia says:

Thanks for the background to St. Patrick’s Day, Jess. Hopefully it won’t snow here in NYC tomorrow.
    Will be great to see people spilling out from all the bars and having fun. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
    Marcia recently posted..Spanish and British History in Spanish Town JamaicaMy Profile

I know, it got SO cold again today! I think we were spoiled by that one 60 degree day;-) Happy St. Patty’s, Marcia!

6. Catherine says:

So glad you got your facts right about the shamrock! Really bugs me when people celebrate St Patrick’s Day brandishing a four leaf clover – completely different thing and doesn’t even make any sense when you know the whole story!
    Catherine recently posted..Dharavi: Asia’s Largest SlumMy Profile

7. Hi Jesse, great St. Paddy’s post! Can’t believe it’s that time I think we have the best celebration here in NYC! I haven’t been to Paddy Reilly in a while; I look forward to listen to music and some beer this Monday. Happy St. Paddy’s. Enjoy!
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates recently posted..Mt. Everest Experience: A Scenic Mountain Flight in NepalMy Profile

Ya know, I hadn’t heard about the actual history behind St Patrick’s Day in forever! Good refresher, Jess. That corned beef looks absolutely mouthwatering. Funny thing is I have never had green beer. My usual plans for 17th….stay away from the folks getting crazy ha, ha :)
    Mike recently posted..Apple and Sausage Cornbread Stuffing and Lots of WhiningMy Profile

Haha, I was actually just wondering myself if green beer is as easy as dropping food coloring into it?! Maybe I’ll give it a try;-)

9. It’s tough when St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Monday. When I was younger I used to just go to an Irish bar in mid-afternoon and take it from there, but it’s hard to take off in the middle of the day now. Now I’m pretty much limited to things like eating green cookies. Plus, this year I stupidly made a doctor’s appointment for Monday evening at 8 pm. Sigh. But I do what I can. :) NYC is definitely one of the best places to celebrate St. Patty’s . . .
    Harvey (H-Bomb’s Worldwide Karaoke) recently posted..Exploring the fascinating home of the Explorers ClubMy Profile

Agree, weekday St. Patty’s celebrations are just not the same as a Saturday. But cheers for green cookies!

10. I’m always curious as to how this day is celebrated in NYC. I love all the parades, green beer and other traditions. For one day I’m Irish
    Neva @ Retire for the Fun of it recently posted..The Time of My Life As An Olympic VolunteerMy Profile

The city gets pretty rowdy around the parade route, and all the Irish pubs along the way!

11. Leigh says:

It’s my nieces birthday on St. Patrick’s Day so often it’s been a family celebration. I think she was unbelievably lucky to be born on such a day.

I always wear green on the 17th.
    Leigh recently posted..Unleash Your Inner Cowboy in Banff National ParkMy Profile

12. Johanna says:

Love it! What some brilliant reminders. It’s a fab day to celebrate, and i’ve always known it to be full of jokes, fun, laughter and smiling Irish eyes!
    Johanna recently posted..Lazing around and looking for dolphins at LancelinMy Profile