A New York Minute In Amanda’s Apartment

We are so excited to welcome Amanda Mactas to the blog today to share her lovely NYC home with us!

What neighborhood do you live in?

Midtown East

How long have you lived in this apartment, and who do you share your home with?

I’ve lived here for over two years now by myself and I love it. Although, when it gets messy I have no one else to blame it on.

What kind of “home decor” or style defines your space?

Eclectic, I guess. A lot of the items in my apartment are hand-me-downs from my parents and I’ve mixed them in with furniture and decorations I’ve found that are comfortable and casual.

What’s your favorite feature of the apartment itself?

I love my bathroom. It has beautiful marble tile and a really cool vanity with retro lightbulbs that I fell in love with. I decorated it with some fun, colorful matching pieces.

What are your favorite pieces in your apartment, and where did you get them?

That’s so tough! In no particular oder –

1. I have this quilt that my mom had made for me when I graduated from college that is made from a bunch of my old t-shirts. They all have memories, whether it’s from a team sport, a concert, or a family vacation. It’s really unique and I use it all the time.

2. I also have this really cool antique cookbook stand that was a gift from my grandparents. Not that I’m a huge cook, but it’s really nice to put on display.

3. Another piece I really like is this fun crocodile print side table I have by my couch. I’ve never seen anything like it before and it’s great when I have company for friends to put their drinks on, etc.

4. All my artwork. I love collecting art and have it all over my apartment. I found these two cool paintings at a street fair that are both different views in NYC which I hung next to each other and I have a drawing of an old man I drew back in college (the only decent one I produced). I have plenty more, but some still need to be hung up or are just random things I’ve found at Home Goods or Bed, Bath & Beyond.

What’s your number one tip for NYC living?

No matter where you live in NYC you won’t have enough space, so keep going through everything you own and downsize when you can!

Thank you so much for sharing your home with us, Amanda!  You can find more of Amanda on her blog, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.

Want to share your NYC apartment on the site?  Drop us a note at info@usedyorkcity.com!

21 Responses to “A New York Minute In Amanda’s Apartment”

1. ben says:

Very relaxing apartment. Wish I have one :)
    ben recently posted..Grand Canyon Air Tour – A Marvelous Way to See the SightsMy Profile

2. Agness says:

I’m back at uni soon and I wish my new apartment looked like this one. Small, but cozy and I’m a big fan of tea! :D
    Agness recently posted..A Beginner’s Guide To The Singapore Hawker CenterMy Profile

Amanda, your place is gorgeous! It looks so gorgeous…YET, so very comfortable and warm. I like that in a place. I like your drawing from college – it looks like an elite picture of Santa Claus! That’s intended as a compliment :) Thank you for sharing her with us, Jess :)
    Mike recently posted..Leftover Thanksgiving Sandwiches, Easy and DeliciousMy Profile

4. Tamara says:

How cool! I love the bathroom – it is so beautifully decorated. What a gorgeous place. I live out in the country on four acres, but I used to be a city girl. I like to think I could do both.
    Tamara recently posted..I Had No Idea How Much I’d Need Her.My Profile

5. What a neat apartment! LOVE the drawing of the old man – that is just amazing!!
    nan @ lbddiaries recently posted..The Forgotten Art of Being a Lady, A RantMy Profile

6. I love how you made a basic apartment so homey and functional. When we moved from Wisconsin to Utah, we hauled stuff to the dump rather than take the time to sell it. The guy at the dump had a heart attack and I think we overworked him. Now I try to keep the collections down to a minimum and it isn’t working very well.
    Neva @ Retire for the Fun of it recently posted..My Empty Nester Orchid RoomMy Profile

Yes, clearing out clutter is ALWAYS an issue in NYC apartments, we’re SO limited on space! Collections are fantastic, but have to be kept to a minimum most of the time:-)

7. Corinne says:

Downsizing is a good way to live anyway! Love your apartment!
    Corinne recently posted..Spring Cleaning in SalzburgMy Profile

8. I live with a lot of my parents’ hand me down things. It is quite defining and I am never sure if it is a good or bad thing! But it does make for a very personal space – as in Amanda’s place
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..Fennel Pollen and Orange Tarts for the Godiva Chocolate ChallengeMy Profile

9. Sofia says:

Your quilt then is just like Bella’s, which her mom gave her as a gift for her wedding.. that is so cute, that scene. Your kitchen’s pretty cute too, especially that avocado towel. ;)

10. love this post. Even more I love the answers. *smart questions* give you insightful answers
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..You Gotta Be Kidding Me, Chelsea Handler! Melissa Reyes of MizMeliz.com Guest Post!My Profile

11. Heather says:

I have that exact same green teapot! Amanda obviously has good taste :-)
    Heather recently posted..Cherry Blossom Afternoon Tea at the Willard IntercontinentalMy Profile

12. Kevin says:

Why are so many strangers in your apartment?

13. Scarlett says: