Nothing But Blue Skies

UsedYorkCity.com

With the trees staying bare just a little bit longer this year, I was extra excited to see blue skies out in full force in Central Park.

Blue skies?!”  you say.  “But Jess, I haven’t seen anything but gray, gray, gray since Halloween!”

(Hmm…I can’t argue there…)

But no, the blue skies I’m referring to are actually aluminum clouds, courtesy of the artist Olaf Breuning, who “invites us to experience the stage-like quality of a New York City street with a new sense of wonder and possibility”.  I have to say, of all the outdoor installations I’ve seen at this particular location, this is by far my favorite.

Blue skies, smiling at me.  Nothing but blue skies, do I see. ~Irving Berlin

Sitting at the South East corner of Central Park (circa 60th and 5th Ave.), this cheerful exhibit is on display until August 24th, and I have no doubt it will be even more lovely with Central Park blooms in the background.

UsedYorkCity.com L1000213 L1000210 L1000217

What piece of art has brought a smile to your face as of late?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

26 Responses to “Nothing But Blue Skies”

1. Nancie says:

Love your blue cloud sculpture find, and the real blue skies are fantastic, too! I’m sure New Yorkers are happy after a long cold winter. Thanks for linking to Travel Photo Thursday.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — April 3rd/14 — Halifax’s Titanic ConnectionMy Profile

2. great fun! as you said, they really make me (and everyone else) smile. Brilliant idea
    London Unattached recently posted..Stoli® Big Breakfast – a Cupboard CocktailMy Profile

3. budget jan says:

Cool. Cloud Trees! Love them.
    budget jan recently posted..Traveling the world can change our OpinionsMy Profile

4. Heather says:

How fun! Will definitely be swinging by this exhibit on my next weekend in town! The Central Park exhibit I most remember consisted of orange cloths strung up to look like the tori gates of Kyoto, Japan. It was beautiful!
    Heather recently posted..Exploring the Colonial Charms of Annapolis, MarylandMy Profile

Oh that must have been a pretty one! I remember those gates in Kyoto and must have taken about 20 pictures of them!:-)

5. HI Jess, Lovely blue sky! If it doesn’t come, might as well create it! Love that NY spirit:) I’ve yet to see this. I’m sure it will bring a smile to my face.
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates recently posted..Panama: A Visit to an Embera Tribe VillageMy Profile

6. Love love LOVE this! We could all use some blue skies in our day, esp. after this past winter. Public art always makes me smile, but lately the tulips coming up around Seattle and the Cherry Blossoms make me happy.
    Keryn from Walking On Travels recently posted..Friday Postcards: Skagit Valley Tulip FestivalMy Profile

7. I love the blue clouds…and you have blue skies to match! We were in New York at halloween and I remember the beautiful sunny days….gat to see them here!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..C…..is for the Croatian Island of CresMy Profile

8. they’re cheerful. But I think I liked the naked-man statues positioned around Madison Square (last summer?) better.
    eileen @ FamiliesGo! recently posted..All You Need to Know About Disney’s Free FastPass+My Profile

Haha, I think I missed the naked man statues, Eileen! Will have to google around and check them out!;-)

9. Jackie says:

What a great exhibit!

10. I love this! Blue skies are so important to my well being that a little help like this would be very appreciated if I was in NYC! #TPThursday
    Phoebe @ Lou Messugo recently posted..Roquefort and Beyond: A Local Wine GuideMy Profile

I couldn’t agree more, Phoebe! Light and sunshine are two of my biggest “must haves”;-)

11. Catherine says:

So simple yet so beautiful :)
    Catherine recently posted..Reading List #2My Profile

12. Love love love this! how cool is it! I love that art integrates into your life in such a meaningful way
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Yogaphiles Heads Up! Laughing Lotus NY Is Heading to LA for April 5-11 Classes!My Profile

Thanks Stevie! It’s such a fun, playful exhibit that brings a smile on every stroll past!:-)