Street Eats In Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com When people ask what the most memorable thing we did in Bangkok was, the first thing out of my mouth is, “Drink coffee from a food truck in an alley while wearing PJ’s*!”  Ok, yes, we saw lots of amazing temples, Buddahs drenched in gold, ate at the top of the world’s highest outdoor restaurant…but none of these quite stick out so much as the coffee.  (It’s the little things, no?)

Of course I had to Google this bevvy as soon as we got home to reproduce the lovely brew in our NYC apartment.  If you drink your joe like I do (light and sweet, to a fault), give it a try.  I think you’ll love it. Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Besides the coffee, the sidewalks of Bangkok are quite the moveable feast.  Everywhere you looked there were vendors selling food (shocking how the entire country stays so small!)…I loaded up on the fresh fruits and ice creams, and let the hubby try the more adventurous meats-on-a-stick.  Here’s some of our favorites! Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com Bangkok by UsedYorkCity.com

What’s the most memorable food/drink you’ve experienced during your travels?  Share below!

(disclaimer: ok, they weren’t really pj’s, but in order to go inside the temples you need to be wearing long pants, so I purchased these from a street vendor, and now when I go back through that day’s photos I’m like, “By golly, I was walking around Bangkok in sleeping pants!”)

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox and Friday Postcards at Walking On Travels.

Comments
28 Responses to “Street Eats In Bangkok, Thailand”
  1. I finally tried durian from a street vendor last week after actively avoiding it for the past few years. I didn’t gag, but I don’t really feel the need to try more. Your photos remind me of the street eat carts in Malaysia. I was wondering why you were wearing PJs out, so thanks for clarifying. Aren’t those flowing Thai pants so comfortable.
    Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..School Field Trips Malaysia-styleMy Profile

2. Nancie says:

PS… There are coffee plantations in Northern Thailand.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Apr. 24/14: UNESCO World Heritage Site: Grand Pre, Nova ScotiaMy Profile

3. Nancie says:

Thailand is a street food paradise. I so miss my morning Moo Ping…just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes :)

4. Amazing photos. I have to reread the coffee part. The color of the market was amazing
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Top LA Chefs Mix Up Snack Hacks with #OREO Cookies. Michael Voltaggio’s ‘Got Game’ with Oreo Snacks!My Profile

5. budget jan says:

Cabbage pickled in lurid pink vinegar. We ate it with Balik Emek (fish sandwich) in Istanbul. I agree it is the little things that fascinate us.
    budget jan recently posted..Anzac Day and Gallipoli MemoriesMy Profile

6. Leigh says:

You’re not going to go hungry in that part of the world. Everything looks so fresh and I’m betting it hasn’t traveled far. Do the Thai grow coffee or import it?
    Leigh recently posted..Biking in Dresden, GermanyMy Profile

You know, that’s a great question Leigh! I don’t recall any particular Thai brands of coffee that we drank, but will definitely do some research on that!

7. Scarlett says:

Is that the ‘train market’ you’re stood in? If so, I remember it well. I LOVED the street eats when I was in Bangkok, especially the banana fitters, I lived off them for about 2 days. Glad you had a fab time x
    Scarlett recently posted..A lot of money in a couple of Kwicky bags.My Profile

Oh, I’m actually not too sure if that’s what it was called! But very near the flower district and what our guide lovingly referred to as “Chinatown”…haha, guess every major city has one!;-)

8. Kevin says:

Let me get this straight; you go to Thailand to eat, right? :)

9. Heather says:

I went crazy over the iced tea in Thailand! I’ll never forget the time I went to buy some from a cart in Chiang Mai and a monk got to the front of the line right in front of me. He tried to pay for his tea, but the vendor refused to let him. So the monk performed a blessing instead. It was a pretty magical travel moment :-)
    Heather recently posted..The Big Reveal: We’re Moving to LATVIA!My Profile

10. I loved the durian, simply because of how offensive its smell was! But I did also love getting a dragon fruit smoothie when my head was a bit sore in the morning haha.

Can’t wait to go back, oh god I loved the pad thai too – well most of the time.

We definitely heard a lot about the durian, but didn’t get around to trying it! They actually had signs in the hotel that it wasn’t allowed in because of the awful smell;-)

• Haha yeah I saw the their version of the underground in Bangkok had signs saying durians were not allowed in, it’s so popular over there though. I can imagine in a sense it’s like saying no apples allowed in Western society!
        Aaron Trotter recently posted..Coping With WanderlustMy Profile

Exactly! It makes me curious about the taste, although it’s so hard for me to imagine eating something that smells so awful lol:-)

11. ahhh I do remember the coffee there. my fiancé is Vietnamese, and his mother never fails to make me a Vietnamese coffee (extra dark with lots of condensed milk) every time I stay with her…

don’t judge, but my favorite street eats is from Saigon/ho chi minh city in Vietnam… vendors sell flattened, dried, barbequed squid in little carts like NYC pretzel vendors. they chop it up into little chewy strips like beef jerky. it sounds weird, looks weird, but every time I passed it on the street it smelled too good to pass up before leaving! i’m glad I was brave enough to try it :) ….now the insects in all the streets of Bangkok and chiang mai? no thanks.

cheers.
    jenn @ beyond the stoop
    jenn @ beyond the stoop recently posted..it’s hip to be squareMy Profile

It’s so great when a certain food evokes a travel memory! We passed through an airport in Vietnam, but are so looking forward to actually visiting for an extended time on the next trip to Southeast Asia, such a beautiful region!