My Bermudaful Vacation

Bermuda by UsedYorkCity.com

Guys: I discovered a place where it’s a constant 75 degrees and less flight time than Florida!  (Ok, Jess, you didn’t discover per say, but we’ll just play along to appease your excitement.)  Blue skies, pink sand, always-full-drink-in-your-hand…that’s right, we’re talking Bermuda!

Bermuda by UsedYorkCity.com Bermuda by UsedYorkCity.com Bermuda by UsedYorkCity.com

At under 2 hours from NYC (and daily non stops from JFK with Delta!), this darling island is surrounded by turquoise as far as the eye can see, and is home to some of the nicest people you will ever meet.  Our cab drivers were full of information about the island, and were more than pleased to share their knowledge with us!  A few of the tid-bits we picked up were:

All That Green

Bermuda is home to more golf courses per square mile than anywhere in the world!  Makes sense, as driving around the island gives you the feeling you’re in a botanical garden…the inland is full of green!

Drinking Water

The houses in Bermuda have white roofs that are used to collect drinking water from the rain, as the island has no fresh water rivers.  We drank from the tap and it was jussssttt fine.

Getting Around

Car rentals aren’t available to visitors, but they’re encouraged to take advantage of the island’s bus system…or catch a cab!  (In other words…getting around the island is either inconvenient or expensive, so booking a place on the beach or super central is pretty important.)

History

Bermuda is the oldest British colony, hence driving on the opposite side of the road as we do in the US!

Annual Festival

Kite flying is a huge tradition on Good Friday, as all the kids make their own kites in school, and then have the day off to celebrate with their families and fly the kites on the public beaches.  ”Why kites?” asks Jess.  Cabdriver:  ”The cross symbolizes Jesus, of course!”  Of course.

Besides learning historical fun facts from the cabbies, our trip basically consisted of lounging on the beach or by the pool until our daily Vitamin D allotment was fulfilled (apparently the NYC winter had left us deficient in this area, ya don’t say?), at which point we’d head to the hotel room for the ultimate guilty pleasure…hours of HGTV.  And that, my friends, was the moment I realized the difference between traveling and a vacation.

Where’s your favorite destination to just unplug and relax?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox and Friday Postcards at Walking On Travels.

Comments
28 Responses to “My Bermudaful Vacation”
  1. Marisol says:

Hi Jess, I’m so so jealous! I’d love to be in Bermuda right now. It has been a while since I’d enjoyed those delightful pink sands. Your photos are teasing me to hop on a flight. It would have been fun to bein the kite festival. Too bad I missed it this year. I’ll definitely keep that in mind.
    Marisol recently posted..Cool City Break in Cape TownMy Profile

2. i found the public transit pretty easy to use and convenient. More expensive than NYC, but definitely less per day than renting a car would have been. The beaches are great for kids!
    eileen @ FamiliesGo! recently posted..Central Florida: 3 Aquarium Getaways For FamiliesMy Profile

Great to know, Eileen! I think because we went on a holiday weekend (Easter), the buses were running a lot less frequently, but I’ll remember for next time!

3. It looks beautiful! Sadly just a little further for me from London…
    London Unattached recently posted..Antigua – British Heritage in the CaribbeanMy Profile

Thanks Fiona! How far is the trip from London? At least you have the rest of the gorgeous continent of Europe to quickly jet set to anytime! xo!

4. Nancie says:

I went there on an Amex sales conference one time. More work than fun, but it is a beautiful island. I got to play a round of golf at the Port Royal, so that was exciting. The views were amazing. That kitefest look awesome.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — May 22/14 — Sukhothai’s Sitting BuddhaMy Profile

5. My geography is all messed up. I seriously thought Bermuda would be further than Florida from NYC. 2 hours?! No wonder you went. I love that pink sand. Sounds like you had a relaxing time. My regular life is actually pretty relaxing since I can hang out at the beach/pool of Hard Rock Penang just 20 minutes away from me.
    Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..Fujiya Hotel: East meets West in the midst of Hakone National ParkMy Profile

It’s off the coast of North Carolina, so the distance isn’t bad at all! Oh, that sounds amazing to be able to use the Hard Rock’s pool and beach, what a great idea!

6. Heather says:

How is it I’ve never been to Bermuda?! Probably because it was the favorite vacation destination of my elderly aunt and uncle and I imagined the island being overrun with pasty men in shorts with black socks and dress shoes LOL! But clearly I should have given it a chance!
    Heather recently posted..Longwood Gardens: A Botanical Wonderland in PennsylvaniaMy Profile

Haha, not gonna lie…there was A LOT of Bermuda short action going on, paired with knee socks! I tried to get the hubby to rock the style, but he wasn’t having it;-)

7. budget jan says:

What’s not to like. I am envious.
    budget jan recently posted..Artvin to Macka Day 7 of an Eastern Turkey Road TripMy Profile

8. Jealous and not.. swooning that the turquoise water and amazing views. I love Hawaii. particularly Kauai but I really need to go someplace different!

I love the photos!
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Hot Fun for Summer 2014: Street Food Cinema Brings It All: Movies, Food Trucks, Music + FUN! 5/24 Kickoff in LA!My Profile

How are the beaches in LA? I feel like you guys must have some beautiful ones right there locally, which is amazing! While our Coney Island is definitely iconic, it’s not exactly the best for swimming;-)

9. Karen says:

It is raining where I am at the moment and looking at your pictures makes me want to pack my bags!

Spring showers, no!!! Hope they go away soon, and you’re graced with some blue skies and flowers:-)

10. Leigh says:

Sounds to me like a great place to relax. My favourite summer time place to unplug is a deserted beach on Canada’s west coast accessible only by kayak. Those are magical moments.
    Leigh recently posted..Hiking the Boreal Trail in Saskatchewan – Day OneMy Profile

11. Muza-chan says:

Beautiful place…
    Muza-chan recently posted..Samurai story, ByakkotaiMy Profile

12. Jackie says:

Super photos and great tips.

13. I am sitting here in my very slight;y cold kitchen looking at your pics and trying not to be too envious.
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Crispy Roasted Okra – Sierra Leone FlavoursMy Profile

14. Maria says:

Oh a kite festival is so much fun to watch and/or participate in – all the shapes, colors and streamers. Yay!
    Beautiful beach btw. :-D