Wanderlust Wednesday: Travel Traditions

Over dinner the other night we were talking about travel traditions.  You know…a little ritual or thing you do in every place you travel to.  I find these fascinating, and am always curious about what peaks people’s interest.  My husband, for example, gets a haircut in every country he visits (the $2 haircut in Cambodia remains his favorite til this day!)  My step-mom collects matches from restaurants she eats in when traveling, then puts them in a jar when she gets home labeled “Memory Matches”.  My sister is a passionate craft beer drinker and always hits up the local watering hole for a glass of whatever the local brew is.

And me…well, I jump.  And jump, and jump, and jump until a photo is finally snapped mid-air with a “woo hoo!” look upon my face.  Something like this:

40306_419331058225_5815242_n

This tradition started back in the summer of 2008 when my family and I traveled to Greece together, and hiked up a really, really steep mountain on a really, really hot day.  My sister and I were so happy by the time we got to the top that we jumped in the air and high-fived each other, perfectly timed to the snap of my mom’s camera.  Since then, it just kind of stuck.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Greece 2008

228417_10151018157218226_445619069_n

Washington DC 2013

unnamed

Cambodia 2013

IMGP0357

And of course…there’s no shortage of jumping right here in New York City:

25810_378278578225_8232110_n 44860_421414273225_1062597_n 35378_409647958225_7920344_n 37377_402080363225_8272910_n 576631_10150891587913226_734168108_n 580565_10151243723773226_1259424268_n

I’m looking forward to putting all my jumping shots into a scrapbook, as a fun way to reflect upon the places I’ve been and the fun times had while there.  I think I’ll call it “Jess’s Junkets Through Jumps”:-)

What’s your travel tradition?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox and Friday Postcards at Walking On Travels.

• I collect and hoard those little hotel soaps. They’re like gold.

• Elena says:

Awesome photos! My boyfriend has a series of photos from various places around the world where his waving with his right hand :)

I’m starting sort of tradition of having pics with ice-cream in different places :)

• Corinne says:

Jess, these are great shots! So fun! I think having little travel traditions is so interesting as well. We have a few, but one of them is visiting a grocery store…tells you soooo much!

Mmmm, a foodie after my own heart! It’s so fun to see even the simple things like food packaging in different cultures, what a great idea, Corinne!

• Heather says:

Love these shots so much! I’m a huge fan of jumping shots, as you know, but clearly need to step up my game. Some of these are spectacular!

My other tradition is refrigerator magnets. Yes, they are kind of tacky, but I love opening the fridge every day and seeing those reminders of all the places I’ve been!

What a fun tradition, Heather! I love that they are small, so don’t take up a lot of room either in transit or once you get back home!

• Hey Jess, I just had to come and say I have written my first ever travel piece and I am quite chuffed. I figured as travel lover you would understand how exciting this is for me. Thanks for all your inspiration.

That’s SO exciting, Bintu! I can’t wait to hop over to your blog and check it out…I’m certain it will be just as amazing as your delicious foodie articles!:-)

• Great jump shots! I’m always on the other side of the camera and can’t ever seem to snap the jump picture at the right moment. I like the haircut tradition, too. Does he have a photo album of that, too? Alas, I cannot think of any great travel traditions that I have unless you count hitting Starbucks everywhere (none in Cambodia).

Starbucks is a great tradition to have, Michele! Yes, Cambodia seems very short on the chain restaurants still, but there was something very charming about getting that very sweet, condensed milk coffee from guys on the street there!:-)

The hubby doesn’t have a photo album of the haircuts, but what a great idea! I’ll mention it to him!:-)

• Love this photo blitz. It’s so much fun! what a great photo “trail”:
    xo do more . even around NYC!

Thanks Stevie! It was the first time I started collecting all the jumping shots into one folder, and was so much fun to see the growing collection!

• budget jan says:

I love the grand central and tower jumping in NYC. We both had $2 haircuts in Cambodia! Where was the water shot in Cambodia taken? We don’t have a tradition but I shall definitely start one now :)

It was on the Song Saa Island, truly gorgeous! Yes, I’d love to see what travel traditions you come up with!:-)

• Nancie says:

You’re a great jumper, and the scenery really adds to the photos!

• Jackie says:

Great shots!

• My travel traditions seems to be finding a cooking school where ever I go. I think I need to think differently.

But that’s what makes you such an incredible cook, Bintu! Always seeking out that inspiration!:-)

• Maria says:

Great to have traditions – especially fun ones.
    Mine isn’t as exciting but upon arriving I like to take a walk for 1/2 an hour (not always feasible)
    and upon returning to the US I like to get breakfast (regardless of the time of day) with a large glass of orange juice.

I love that Maria! What a great way to get to know the place you’re visiting…and completely agree that there’s nothing quite as comforting as a large American breakfast!;-)

• Lol, great series of photos and we too love our jumping snaps but they’re not really a travel tradition. What I do like and seek out on our travels are, interesting fresh produce especially fruits, that I’ve never seen or tried before. For example, in Indonesia we came across salak or snake fruit (presumably because if its brown scale-like skin), which thankfully tasted better than it looked.