5 Ways To Stay Cool In NYC This Summer

After that insane Polar Vortex of a winter we had this year, I doubt any of us are complaining about the summer heat too much.  But when the subway platforms start feeling like you’re inhaling a bowl of miso soup every time you breathe in right around July 4th weekend, we got you covered on ways to bring the temperature back on down…internally, at least.

Short of staying in your apartment with the AC blowing, frozen strawberry daiquiri in hand while you catch up on Netflix shows (cause isn’t that always the ultimate?!), here’s our roundup of a few of our other favorite ways to stay cool in NYC this summer:

SummerNYC

5 NYC Ice Cream Shops You’ll Melt Over

5 NYC Beaches You Can Get To Without A Car

5 NYC Pools To Cool Off At This Summer

40 Free Museums To Explore

Quiet Indoor Spots To Read A Book

And bonus!  In case you’re looking for a way to woo your boo this summer, these all make great cheap (or free!) date ideas, too!

How are you planning to stay cool this summer?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

28 Responses to “5 Ways To Stay Cool In NYC This Summer”

1. Nancie says:

Hi Jess! Wonderful tips. If I was coming to NYC this summer, instead of Penang, Malaysia, I would definitely be using them.
    Thanks for linking up to Travel Photo Thursday this week.
    Nancie recently posted..Foodie Tuesday: Korean Bing Su to Beat the HeatMy Profile

You will definitely have an amazing time in Penang! We made a brief stop there on our honeymoon back in December, it was incredible!

2. Heather says:

My second summer in NYC, the power went out across much of the city for 48 hours – in August. The first thing I did was to make a casserole with the contents of my fridge. Then my friends and I bought some still-cold beer and headed to the nearest park. It was actually kind of fun!
    Heather recently posted..Snapshot: Cleveland’s West Side MarketMy Profile

3. What fantastic ideas! We too, like loitering around art galleries and museums on days when the weather is unfavourable. Other ideas we enjoy are, going to the movies or my personal favourite, gathering a few friends, bring along some water balloons and water pistols and head the the nearest park. After battle ice cream is NOT optional.
    Hai – Notes of Nomads recently posted..[VLOG] Stretchy Turkish Ice CreamMy Profile

4. Marcia says:

Fantastic ideas, Jess. New York has enough to keep us busy all summer long! IMO, Netflix is for winter. Enjoy!
    Marcia recently posted..A Subtlety, Provocative Sugar Sculptures by Artist Kara WalkerMy Profile

Haha, it certainly is for winter! ALthough confession: I had a binge weekend at the beginning of June for Orange Is The New Black, and loved every second of it!;-)

5. Maria Falvey says:

I like the way you cool off! :-D
    Maria Falvey recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Piran CafeMy Profile

6. Catherine says:

Not that I actually experience it directly, but the Polar Vortex feels like it was a million years ago! It’s getting so warm now I can barely remember what winter felt like!
    Catherine recently posted..Giraffes: A Random StoryMy Profile

7. Scarlett says:

I was totally hoping this post was going to teach me how to wear sunglasses in a cool way and be ‘down wit da homies’! I very much like the idea of ice cream though… x
    Scarlett recently posted..How to get over a break upMy Profile

Haha, I’m saving that tip for a future post, Scarlett! It will be ‘specially dedicated to YOU!

8. Muza-chan says:

With a lot of kakigori, a Japanese dessert made of shaved ice flavored with various syrups :)
    Muza-chan recently posted..Japanese traditions, UchimizuMy Profile

Mmm, that sounds right up my alley! I’ll be on the hunt for that here in NYC!:-)

OMG that is so ironic I was just telling a friend at work how much I was craving ice cream!! I open your post an hour later….bam! I get eat an entire pint right now! Bring on the Pralines and Cream please :) Good post, Jess!
    Mike recently posted..CANCER-FREE CONTEST! Win $100…My Profile

Great minds think alike, eh? So glad you enjoyed, Mike! Hopefully you got some ice cream at some point today, too!:-)

• Mike says:

I read this last night at work and for real was craving it so bad I stopped at McDonald’s at 11:15 p.m. at night and got one of their soft serve cones. OH MY GAWD it was good Jess! I had not had an actually cone in over 10 years!! (always out of the cup) Thank you!!
        Mike recently posted..CANCER-FREE CONTEST! Win $100…My Profile

10. And I immediately went to the ice cream post and I wanted to post.. that it was a heaven on earth post and I loved it
    but I found I had done that last year. Love your suggestions!
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Adam Carolla in LA for “Car Week” ! What Happens Is Surprising! #videoMy Profile

11. My friend just landed in boston and will get to New York in a week. I will send him this post.
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Spiced Courgette SoupMy Profile

12. Lydia says:

Love these suggestions. I’m already sweltering hot every day and everyone’s reminding me that it’s only going to get worse. Nooooo!
    Lydia recently posted..…toured inside the Woolworth BuildingMy Profile

13. maybe one day when that plus sign pool opens in the east river, i’ll go there to cool off ;)