A Visit To The Real Winnie-The-Pooh In NYC

A lover of children’s literature, A.A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh books were always in heavy rotation in my library as a child, and the cartoons played pretty much on repeat on our trusty VHS player.  That being said, I never pondered much on the origins of the 1920’s series, basically assuming it was the fictional creation of some brilliant author, generations before my time.

L1000394

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?” -Winnie-the-Pooh

Imagine my delight when, on a recent stroll of the New York Public Library’s Main Branch, I stumbled (literally) onto a glass case filled with the original Hundred Acre Wood’s gang, tattered and loved unconditionally by a child, just as I would expect.

L1000392

L1000381

“Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon.” -Winnie-the-Pooh

The child that loved this gang of characters was the author’s son, Christopher Robin (also a main character in the stories!)  The story has it that the actual Christopher Robin received the stuffed bear on his first birthday, which he originally named Edward, and added his friends to the collection over his childhood years.  He used to spend summers in the real Hundred Acre Wood (located in southern England), and hence switched Edward’s name to “Winnie-the-Pooh”, originating from the Winnipeg black bear, the one Christopher Robin used to visit frequently at the London Zoo.  Christopher Robin’s father quickly realized that this collection of characters would make for wonderful bedtime stories, and thus, the series was born.

L1000382

“Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.” -Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh and his besties, Eeyore, Piglet, Kanga, and Tigger, have been living at the NYPL since 1987, and I like to believe that, minus the cuddles, they are just has happy being loved and adored by Winnie-the-Pooh fans that pay frequent visits as they were living in Christopher Robin’s home, some 90+ years ago.

What childhood literary character played an important part of your life?  Share below!

WHERE: Children’s Center at the NYPL
Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, New York

COST: Free

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

18 Responses to “A Visit To The Real Winnie-The-Pooh In NYC”

1. Heather says:

I loved Winnie the Pooh! My childhood best friend and I actually came up with nicknames for one another based the series. I was also obsessed with the Garfield comics!
    Heather recently posted..7 Reasons You Should Visit Cleveland Right NowMy Profile

Ohh what character were you?? Garfield was super cute too, I had an orange cat when I was little so it was always fun to make comparisons!;-)

2. awww….they must have emigrated! Of course we all love winnie the pooh here, but then he DOES come from London;)
    Fiona Maclean recently posted..#CurryforChange – Cafe Spice NamasteMy Profile

Hehe, thanks for sharing with us!;-) It was quite special seeing the stuffed animals in person!

3. I am a huge WTP fan.. I watched everything, read all of it. I loved Piglet (still do) I also liked Snoopy from Peanuts.. and some other characters like Scooby Do!
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Body By Simone Opens! Simone De La Rue Has a Sweet Deal for Angelenos! #HURRYMy Profile

Piglet is the sweetest! And LOVE the Peanuts! I could watch them over and over again:-)

4. My kids love Winnie the pooh and would love this. Excitingly we are taking my eldest to go learn how to be a Jake and the Neverland ‘Pirate’ this weekend.
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Herbed Cauliflower ‘Couscous’ with Tahini YoghurtMy Profile

That’s going to be SO fun for him, Bintu! Something he’ll remember the rest of his life:-)

5. Scarlett says:

So cute!! Winnie the Pooh had the BEST quotes (save Alice in Wonderland of course.) I loved all the Narnia books as a kid, and to this day I’ve always wanted a lamp post in my garden xx
    Scarlett recently posted..Yoga is absolutely not for pussies.My Profile

Oh, Narnia was another favorite series of mine! As an adult I still want an armoire, as I believe magic happens in them;-)

6. Kevin says:

You found Pooh bear!

This gave me a swift nostalgic lump in my gut, Jess. Meaning so many years just rewound to me sitting there as a little boy reading Winnie the Pooh. The book smelled off which probably meant it was brand new. I was fascinated with how unabashedly Winnie could just dip his paw into the jar and scoop out joyous globs of delicious honey. He spoke of how easily things could be and reminded us of how difficult we allow them to be. Without commenting a novel the first other book that came to mind in response to your question was the Jungle Book. Awesomesauce post, Jess! :)
    Mike recently posted..CANCER-FREE CONTEST! Win $100…My Profile

He was such a happy little bear, and as an adult his nuggets of wisdom strike an ever deeper cord! Oh, and I did love the Jungle Book too! First movie I ever saw in theaters was the Disney version;-)

8. Maria says:

Winnie… One of my favorite characters as a kid – and now.
    Maria recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Inside JourneysMy Profile