Visit The MOMA’s Sculpture Garden For Free

L1010012

On a recent visit to the MOMA, I noticed the queuing system had changed…it seemed they were only checking tickets to go upstairs, rather than also on the ground floor of the museum…the floor that houses the sculpture garden.  I asked at the information desk, and sure enough, the garden is now free to the general public during all museum hours (meaning you can skip the hefty $25 admittance fee that was previously charged for garden entrance!)

Besides just being a lovely place to sit with a good book (and goodness knows we need all the green space we can get in Midtown!), the garden is also home to pieces by some names you’ve probably heard once or twice…Picasso and Matisse ring a bell?  Here’s a few of my favorite shots from the inside.

L1010013 L1010017 L1010018 L1010021 L1010022 L1010023 L1010024 L1010027 L1010029 L1010031 L1010038

Do you have a local garden you frequent?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox

• Wow! What an amazing place Jess! I just added the MOMA’s Sculpture Garden to my list for my next visit to NY!

• Kassandra says:

Besides the Montreal Botanical Garden (the Japanese Garden is a true delight) my local favourite is the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. I try to go every year during in the early to late spring to see the flowers in bloom.

I’ve actually never been to the gardens in Brooklyn, will have to check it out, thanks! I do love the one in the Bronx, though!:-)

• Marcia says:

Fantastic, Jess! I love finding free stuff in NYC.
    I haven’t been to MOMA all summer but now I have a great reason to go. And it doesn’t look crowded at all. What day did you go? Thanks for the heads up.

I was really pleased with how not crowded it was (for nyc, at least!) I went on a Monday late afternoon/early evening:-)

• Jaklien says:

I never knew that this garden existed. Mind you it has been a while since I was a New Yorker. Will have to check it out when I get back.

• Freya says:

The garden looks very beautiful, love the sculptures. Great idea to make it free now, it looks like an amazing place to have your lunch on a nice day

Having lunch or breakfast there would be a wonderful idea, Freya! They actually have a little food stand there too that’s open on occasion for coffee and snacks!

• Mike says:

On the heels of enjoying a great free concert a week ago here in Reno I have a totally new appreciation to wonderful events, museums, etc. that are free. Thank you for including the Momo link, Jess. And I love that it’s ok to take photographs there because I think you may have (?) in the past been to a place that you said you couldn’t take photographs. Sorry if my memory slips me on that last part. Great post! :)

Totally! There’s quite a few museums here in the city that don’t allow photography (boo!) but luckily MOMA is open to it! And yes, we’re total fans of fun freebies when it comes to events and museums!:-)

• Molly S says:

Beautiful sculptures! Looks like a great place to chill in the middle of the city, and it’s good that they’ve made it free. Love the site, by the way – it’s my first visit (found you through TPThursday) – bookmarking for when I finally make it across the pond to NYC!

• I think it’s wonderful that they’ve made this sculpture garden free. I know that some museums have a few free hours once a week or once a month, but to have this be free all the time is terrific. It really helps make art more accessible and not just something for the rich. My favorite sculpture is the one of the people on the bench holding the child.

Totally agree, Michele! Sometimes it’s hard to make those free hours when they only happen on a certain day of the month or certain hours of the week. But this makes it accessible for anyone to experience some of the great works of art at any time, win!

• Muza-chan says:

Beautiful sculptures :)

• Alexis says:

I visit the Missouri Botanical Gardens as often as I can in St. Louis. It’s breathtaking, especially during the Chinese New Year Festival and other festivals.

• budget jan says:

That is great to hear. It must be crowded all the time. If I lived there I would love to visit often. I hope to get back to NYC one day and I will definitely head there. Thanks for sharing this piece of information.

Yay, I hope you get back soon, Jan! It’s quite nice and peaceful in the morning, not too crowded early in the day:-)

• Catherine says:

Wow, this place looks beautiful. That’s great you can visit for free too :)

• Lydia says:

Oh wow, great tip! I’m always so scared of the queues at Moma, so I’ve only been once since moving here (shhh). But this is definitely making me want to go back.

As for favorite gardens — yesterday I went to the Elizabeth Street Garden, have you been? It is SO nice – and handily in SoHo, which has so few green spaces.

I hope you get to go back and enjoy it, sans the crowds!;-) I’ve never been to the Elizabeth Garden, but I saw your post on Instagram and it looks gorgeous! I can’t wait to check it out!

• Agness says:

I love the fact this place’s not that busy and overcrowded. Great spot to chill out :)!