5 Ways To Explore Las Vegas Off The Strip

DSC04555

{that time I won 10 cents}

My hubby and I love Vegas.  Love, love, love.  And not for the traditional reasons, either.  We don’t gamble (well, maybe ONE blackjack table for kicks!) nor do we party like it’s 1999 anymore (hey, 30’s!).  But the glitz!  The glamour!  The hotels!  The pools!  The heat!  The BUFFETS!  Oh, the glorious buffets.  These are all reasons you’re probably pretty aware of though.

Today, I’m going to share 5 ways to explore and love Vegas away from the strip for those of you that might want a little more out of a Vegas trip.  (And for those that love slots and bottle service, I salute you too!;-)

Rent A House In The Burbs

Little secret…the suburbs of Vegas are BOOMING with vacation rentals.  My guess is it’s all the people that bought property before the housing crisis, and now are desperate for renters, even a week at a time, to pay the mortgage.

If you’re spending time in Vegas with a group of people, it could totally pay off to look into renting a house. We jumped on HomeAway and got a gorgeous 4 bedroom rental for 7 days for $1400…divide that up between a few couples and it’s a lot less than you’d end up paying individually for rooms (at a decent hotel) on the strip for that amount of time.  And yes, cabs will totally drive you to and from, so no need to rent a car!

Plus, the houses will often come with their own pool, and cooking meals together is a great way to save on those buffet prices.  For me, staying LITERALLY in the middle of the desert and cooking smores over the grill-fire every evening was totally amazing.

DSC01228

DSC01348Jump On A Boat

Lake Mead is the place to go if you love nature.  Nature and boats and fishing and hiking.  We rented a little speed boat for the afternoon and divided our time between driving the boat with the radio turned up and getting our swim on.  Sure beats the crowded pools on the strip!  Oh, and you get an incredible, up close view of Hoover Dam!

How cute are those fishies?!

DSC01467 DSC01504Visit The Famous Pawn Shop

If you’re a fan of Pawn Stars, visiting their Pawn Shop is a must-do!  Besides the chance to see Chumlee (woot!), the shop is full of really fun stuff to look through if you’re the treasure hunting type!

DSC01366See A Show

Okay, okay, this isn’t exactly OFF the strip, but I often say that, after NYC, Vegas is next in line for incredible theater.  We LOVE Cirque du Soleil, and haven’t seen one yet we wouldn’t completely recommend.  Zumanity is probably my favorite, with the Beatle’s Love taking a close second place.

DSC04597Take A Helicopter Trip

Perhaps one of the cooler moments of my life, my husband and I took a helicopter ride out of Vegas and into the Grand Canyon for a wine and cheese picnic.  On the way back, we got caught in a horrific downpour, where the pilot was even freaking out(!!!)  Needless to say, it was an epic, unforgettable adventure that we still pinpoint as one of our favorite travel memories together.  Totally recommend it:-)

25810_378295503225_4413522_n

Have you been to Vegas?  What are your favorite things to do there?  Share below!

• Freya says:

What a great list ! oh how I would love to be in that swimming pool right now.
    I have been to Vegas but I certainly have now some great ideas for my next visit.

• Marcia says:

Funny, I’ve never thought of renting a house in Vegas though I have heard of the housing boom there.
    I’d take the helicopter ride minus the downpour and freaking pilot. Thanks for the list!

• Thank you so much for this list. My aunt and uncle recently moved to Las Vegas, and I have definite plans to go and visit them (hello, free lodging). My hubby and I don’t gamble much, so this is exactly what I need. I can’t get over those big mouths on the fish.

• Heather says:

Some how I’ve never made it to Vegas, but this makes it look like a totally fab place to relax for a week!

• Richa Saxena says:

Now…Thats a lovely list! I am yet to see vegas nd will keep all of this on my mind…Thanks for sharing these! :)

• Love the house rental idea! We good a plane ride to the Grand Canyon and spent a morning at Red Rocks, also nice options for getting away from the strip.

• Muza-chan says:

Interesting….

You know, I’ve really only seen Vegas this way! I mean, sure I gambled and shopped and explored a bit when I visited for a week when I turned 21. However, my brother lived there for 11 years and he lived in the suburbs. And like when I lived in San Francisco and didn’t have a deep desire to go to the Pier on a Sunday.. my brother was so hesitant to go to the strip ever! I guess it was more annoying for him.
    Anyway, I love what you wrote and yes, the fishies are cute!

That’s awesome, Tamara! The strip is fun to experience once, but there’s really so much other fun stuff in the area to take advantage of, too! And yeah, I can imagine if you were a local the strip could be extra annoying, always packed with drunkish tourists;-)

• Mike says:

Several years ago I was in Vegas every other week or weekend. I got tired of The Strip in a hurry. There are amazing restaurants if you ask some locals and don’t mind driving a mile or two (or take a cab). You nailed it on the helicopter trip…I would be that #1. Hoover Dam and Lake Mead…absolutely. If you like road trips…Area 51 is a 2 1/2 hour drive from there. A lot of people in the world area fascinated when they hear you’ve visited the mysterious American icon! And for some incredible beauty head off West of town into the Spring Mountains and towards Mount Charleston. Did you drive out there, Jess?? I see Phoenix and my buddy, Gillman!! :)

Oh Area 51 is a GREAT suggestion, Mike! We’ll definitely remember this for the next time we’re out there! We flew out there, Gillman was SUCH a trooper on that 5 hour plane ride!;-)

• Maria Falvey says:

Who is that mod squad duo with the helicopter?
    Jess, that’s a great way to see a city but I’ll bet Vegas is even more special with a bird’s-eye view. 😀

It WAS pretty special, Maria! I loved looking down inside the canon from above, a tiny bit petrifying but totally unforgettable!:-)

• laks says:

WOW !! awesome clicks. I’m yet to visit vegas.