Treasure Hunting At Brooklyn Flea

L1010084

We’re in the process of prepping to move into our new apartment.  (I say “prepping” because, although our lives have been packed into boxes for the last 2 months, the small renovations that were needed are moving at the speed of smell.  Ahh, hopefully by end of summer…!)  During the giveaway/sell/packing process, we made a list of things that we didn’t have in our current place that we’d like to find for our new one.  One of these items was a nightstand (because…grownups!)

Weekend trips were made to RH, ABC, C&B…all the usual suspects, but I wasn’t really digging anything, especially at the price points.  So I suggested we check out the Brooklyn Flea Market with the sole purpose of finding the perfect nightstand. (Brooklyn Flea without purpose = disaster.  I love EVERYTHING.)

There are 3 different locations: Fort Greene, Williamsburg, and Park Slope, and we chose Williamsburg because I also really wanted to drive through the Hasidic Jewish community while we were there.  (I’m reading a fascinating memoir about the neighborhood right now, but that’s another story for another post!)

Seriously: such a fun Sunday afternoon!  Along with vintage clothing, furniture and more tchotchkes than you’d ever know what to do with, there were also tons of food vendors there selling anything you could possibly be craving.  Hibiscus donuts?  Done!!!

L1010083 L1010089 L1010090 L1010093 L1010095 L1010096 L1010097 L1010094

In the end we did find the perfect nightstand: an old crate that I’ll turn on its side.  Of course the hubby was like #youpaidhowmuchforthatthing?!, but it was a fraction of what the furniture stores were charging. Plus: vintage!  And fun day Sunday!  Totes worth it:-)

L1010092 L1010099

Have you ever been on a mission to find the perfect {insert random object here}?  If so, where did you end up finding it?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox

• Heather says:

I NEED that pink elephant statue for my living room! Too bad it’s not a little flatter – you could totally put some glass on top and use it for a coffee table!

I hunted for the perfect jewelry box for years, never finding one that was tall enough to hold my necklaces. Then I came across an old calligraphy brush stand at a market in China – problem solved!

That’s great, Heather! Don’t you love finding uses for things in unsuspecting places?!

And agree, pink elephant = FABULOUS!

• Lydia says:

Oh wow, I love the idea of turning a crate on its side for a nightstand – good thinking! I didn’t even consider the Brooklyn Flea when we were sorting out new furniture this past month… but we do need some extra things so a trip may be in order…

Good luck with the rest of the prepping/packing x

Thanks Lydia! And yes, totally check it out for whatever random things you may need…not to mention it’s just a really fun day of trying lots of different food!:-) Win!

• Mike says:

Oh my gosh our little buddy Gillman is yawning in his sleep!! I haven’t been to a flea market in years and for good reason. I’m like you….MUST. HAVE. EVERYTHING. I’m horrible and need a shopping wing man…well, for any type of shopping! “Moving at the speed of smell…” I howled laughing at that as I had never heard the saying! Love it, Jess! :)

Haha, it was a pretty hot day and Gills was SHOPPED-OUT! Luckily for him it’s not like he had to do too much cardio…mommy carried him the whole time;-) I think Phoenix would have enjoyed the market and all the attention, too!

• Maria Falvey says:

You wore Gillman out!

Well. Now I do have a hibiscus donut craving!
    I still haven’t found nightstands. It’s been a few moves, two kids, a new bed, and I still haven’t pulled the trigger!

Haha, we finally got tired of having books/cell phones/glasses of water end up on the floor, being tripped over by us as the pooch!;-)

• craigslist! although it was a more-than-craigslist-should-be price, the dresser I found was perfect! I also checked out all the usual suspects (west elm, C&B, CB2, etc) but I wanted a SOLID WOOD dresser that wasn’t going to fall apart on me, like our 2 malm dressers from ikea. turns out all of the dressers that were remotely my style were particle board, not to mention $1,000+ for particle board! I really wanted mid-century modern, and REAL mid-century modern stuff from the 60’s was solid wood (that’s why you can still find it for sale!) I ended up talking the guy down $50 and getting it delivered it for free. in the end, $500 for a dresser on craigslist seems absurd, but considering it’s solid wood, refinished, AND less than half the cost of new sub-quality stuff at the big box store, it was a steal! http://www.forgottenfurniture.com/

That’s AWESOME, Jenn! I’m with you, such a sap for quality vintage pieces (furniture and otherwise!) A great tip, too, I’ll definitely peruse CL next time I have a purchase in mind! Thanks!