My First Cooking Class, Haven’s Kitchen Style

unnamed-6

You may recall my Fall To-Do List, and my zest over signing up for a pizza making class (cause YUM!)  Truth be told, I was kinndddaaa on the fence of how enjoyable it would be…I mean, I love EATING pizza, but cooking?  Meh.

Guys.  My expectations were blown out of the water.  So, so, SO much fun.

A friend and I took the class together (tip #1: always cook with a friend!), and I was immediately in love with the cooking space at Haven’s Kitchen, we’re talking the kind of kitchen you see in those NYC movies and you’re all “what?! NO kitchen in this city really looks like that!”  Well, they must film all these movies in Haven’s Kitchen (or LA), cause it was a GORGEOUS space.

Also, LOVED that our instructor was sweet, chatty, and gave lots of practical tips for making the class work for you in your REAL NYC kitchen.  Let’s be honest…am I actually going to make homemade pizza dough every time?  Probably not, but my teacher said that’s perfectly ok!  And validated that it was even ok to use tomatoes out of a can!  So basically, as long as I wasn’t jumping onto Seamless to order Dominos, I was getting an A+.  YES!  (Gold stars do wonders for me, can you tell?;-)

She also threw a lot of life hacks in there too, like how to properly chop an onion (yep, I’ve been doing it wrong all these years!), and how to take the leaves off of kale (pull right down the stem, folks, it all falls off!)

Oh!  And you know what else makes cooking so much fun?  Wine!

Insider’s Tip: Even if cooking classes aren’t your jam, Haven’s Kitchen is also an adorable coffee bar filled with lots of baked goodies you may want to check out!  Oh, and tons of cute foodie delights that are cutely packaged and don’t cost a ton of money if you’re trying to knock some people off your holiday gift list!;-)

unnamed-1 unnamed-2 unnamed-4 unnamed-3 unnamed-5

Have you ever taken a cooking class?  Did it live up to your expectations?  Share below!

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox.

• always a great class when you can claim you ate your homework. :-)

• I like cooking, so I enjoy cooking classes. However, I don’t think I’ve ever in my life prepared kale. (My kids hope it stays that way.) I like making homemade pizza. My friends mom used to do it with us when we were kids, and I remember it being so much fun that I do it with my own. Did you learn how to toss the dough in the air to shape it? That’s what I really want to learn, preferably in someone else’s kitchen so I don’t have to clean it up when it drops on the floor.

Haha we sure did learn how to toss dough, and great idea with trying in someone else’s kitchen…I had flour everywhere!;-)

• Leigh says:

When I lived in Boulder I used to volunteer at the Rocky Mountain Cooking School in exchange for classes. So much fun to do. And pizza dough really is a snap to make – if you plan ahead. Quite the variety of toppings you tried.

Oh I love that you did an exchange, Leigh, what a great idea! The only drawback to this class (which I neglected to mention) was its hefty price tag…!!!

• I really am going to take some cooking classes one day. They look so much fun!
    Have a great weekend. I am joining you at Travel Photo Thursday.

• Every where I go I take a cooking class. I LOVE THEM. So glad to hear that you loved yours as well. In another life it was always homemade crust and homemade tomato sauce. Now, I don’t even have an oven! It’s takeout pizza or nothing! :)

• Mike says:

Oh my gosh how much fun and I’m so glad you followed through and did that with your friend, Jessica. Of course a pizza cooking class rocks and hey, my friend, wine makes everything better :)

• Maria Falvey says:

Jess, this is a great idea and with a little planning I could take a similar class during my next vacay! Love this idea for locals and tourists.

So glad you like it, Maria! And agree, it would be SUCH a fun thing to do on a vakay…especially a class that offers the cuisine of the country you’re visiting!:-)

Is that fresh mozzarella? Whatever it is, it looks AWESOME!
    I’ve never taken a cooking class at all. When we lived in San Francisco, my husband and I loved to make homemade pizza. I really liked carrots and olives on mine back then!

It sure is mozzarella! It was DIVINE, I don’t think I can ever go back to the shredded bag stuff again!;-) And love the idea of carrots on pizza, I’ll have to give that a try!