4 Cliché NYC Dates You Should Try

GelatodiVitaly3

I’ll be the first to admit that I can be pretty oblivious to the perks of living in my own city. The novelty of living in the city that never sleeps can be remarkably easy to replace with House of Cards (I can’t even tell you how much this show completes me) and a bottle (or two…) of wine. However, when we had friends visit us earlier this year (they were NYC virgins), I was forced to objectively open my eyes and look around me (read: find shit for us to do).  I mean, I can’t really expect other people to love (or even truly appreciate) the comfort of my couch as much as we do. Here are some of the things we did—feel free to be proud of my activities-that-don’t-involve-staying-in efforts.

1. Pin it to win it

Am I referring to Pinterest? Usually, yes. Always. However in lieu of being anti-couch (which is where I do my best Pinteresting), I’m instead referring to one of my favorite, long-lost pastimes—bowling! That’s right; we took it to the lanes and threw down. We went to Frames with a group of 6 (so cost wasn’t terrible) and the atmosphere was uh-mazing! Because food is the center of maybe everything I do, we also split a party platter (I don’t like to brag, but my cost-splitting skills are basically ninja-level). Drinks were a little steep, so we only had a couple (we weren’t there too long anyway). All in all, it was time and money well spent—we all said we’d do it again!

2. Hello gelato!

I am one of those people that truly loathe paying full price for anything (my exception: the hair salon—if you skimp here, you regret it instantly…) so it surprised nobody when I told them that this date-night item was the direct result of Groupon. I thought it’d be fun if we took a cooking class of some sort (because, food) but was struggling to find something that wasn’t $100+ per person. Cue: the best day of my life. When I was browsing through Groupon, I found a deal for a two-hour gelato class (ermahgerd gelato!! Ice cream’s sexy, older sister). The whole experience was legitimately a blast from beginning to end—AND you get to take gelato home with you!! Pro-tip: bring a cooler (with ice) and wear comfy shoes.

3. All That Jazz

Admittedly, we splurged a bit for this one—but you can’t visit NYC for the first time and not see a Broadway show. If it’s possible to be in love with an entire cast of people, I’m positive I’m head-over heels for the cast of Chicago. The Cell Block Tango might be one of the best numbers ever, and I have to say—our friends agreed! Going to a show is actually something that my husband and I do on a fairly consistent basis (we’re not completely lethargic…yet…) but it was fun to share the experience with a group. There are endless genres of shows to choose from, so pick one that strikes your fancy and give it a shot!

4. Wo Hop this way

Inspired by my devotion to food (I feel like this needs no explanation) I decided it was basically my job to take our visiting compadres to Chinatown, and introduce them to what could possibly be the best Chinese food in the city. Even though Wo Hop is perpetually busy, it will always and forever be worth the wait. We made sure to sit upstairs (even though the basement is just as badass) because for some reason, I prefer the taste of the food upstairs (this doesn’t need a logical reason, just know that was my thought process). The food is beyond affordable, and the atmosphere is second to none. We were all huge fans of the fried dumplings and the crabs in black bean sauce *drools on keyboard…*.

Please share below…what are your favorite cliche dates?

By: Gwendy Taylor

||Photo Credit: 1||

• Heather says:

When my hubs and I were dating in NYC, we used to love to go bowling at the Port Authority then laugh about it over dinner in Hell’s Kitchen :-)

• Kemkem says:

Have you ever seen the original House of Cards? The British one? Kevin Spacey does a bang up job, but the original is still badass! Check it out on Netflix if you haven’t seen it. The evil just oozes out of Sir Ian Richardson. I used to love going to shows, they used to always try out the shows in Boston before they went on Broadway, saw loads. All these are fun..

Omg, you’re going to laugh at me, but I didn’t even know there WAS an original version–I can’t wait to check it out! Thanks for sharing, Kemkem!

• Gwendy says:

Kemkem thanks for the tip! I haven’t seen it, but Netflix is my life-source–I will now devote myself to catching up on the British version!

• Gwendy, you have great date ideas! I love when NYC visitors make me see the city with fresh eyes.
    Bowling in NYC can be stupid expensive- but if you plan ahead and look for a deal it’s pretty easy to find a great one! I know a couple of places in midtown have $6 games on Sunday night or unlimited $20 Monday nights.
    I really want gelato now…

Oh those are good deals, I’ll be on the lookout!;-) And agree, it’s really great to play tour guide every once in a while, lends to a fresh perspective!

• Gwendy says:

Mary Lane you HAVE to try the gelato class!! It’s SO fun and SO worth it! You know some great deals too, girl–thrifty women, unite!! 😉

• I vote walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Never gets old.

• The amazing thing about this, is that any of the items you said, could be repeated 20 times, while never seeing, or going to the same location!

1) Bowling: There are so many places you could take them bowling.
    2) Cooking: Next time you could learn how to make fried rice.
    3) Shows: Do I even need to go there? I have to see Wicked by the way. On the to do list.
    4) Chinese food: Well, this one could be any of the hundreds of Chinese spots, or any for that matter. Nom Wah happens to be one of my favorites.

My point is, that you did this with them, and NYC has so much to offer, that you could do the exact same thing, and be doing a completely different thing. I’ve been sitting on my ass for 6 months, now as the weather warms up, I’m going to explore my city! The next two days I’ll be attending shows where my own friends are performing. I’m excited!

Thanks for the tips! Big hugs for you.

So true, Angel! It has been a brutal winter, but I’m excited to see what you start exploring come spring, yay! We’ll follow along the adventures on your blog!;-)

• Gwendy says:

Angel you are so right!! I never thought about it from that perspective before (how the list could be done time and again, but never repeated). How did your friends’ shows go?? Big hugs for you and your kind words!!

• How cool is a gelato class! Love that idea, my husband and I once did a paella class together which was fun, and I have been invited on a beekeeping class so may give that a go if feeling brave

Ohh honey bees! Now that sounds really interesting–please share the adventure on your blog if you decide to give it a go!;-)

• Gwendy says:

Beekeeping!! Let me know how that goes–I’m interested myself now!

• Those are great things to do, and OMG a gelato class? I think I might be doing that this spring :) Thanks for the tip!

• It sounds like you made the perfect hostess and maybe enjoyed discovering some of the great variety that NYC has to offer.

I’ve only been once but like you say, I had to go and see a Broadway show! Phantom of the Opera it was and even though I’m not into musicals I did enjoy it.

Whilst I can’t remember the name of the place, I do remember going into a revolving restaurant at the top of one of the buildings very close to where you buy the discount show tickets from. I thought this was a fabulous place for a bite to eat or cocktail for any visitor to see.

Oh I believe you’re talking about The View restaurant at the Marriott in Times Square! Very cool spot that allows you to see 360 degrees of NYC!:-)

• Gwendy says:

That 360 degree view sounds AMAZING! The next time they visit, we are SO doing this–thanks for the suggestion, and for giving me far more hostess credit than I deserve :)

• These are great ideas, would especially love to do the first one!