A Rainy Day Stroll Through The Conservatory Garden

unnamed-29I really dig the idea of anything in NYC being labeled “Quiet Zone.”  I mean, you can probably count the zones on one hand–libraries, churches, a late-night subway ride above 125th street–so I was quite pleased to see that Central Park has its own little 6 acre quiet zone too, The Conservatory Garden!

On Easter weekend the hubs and I took a rainy day stroll up the east side of Central Park until we reached the entrance to the garden at 105th street and 5th avenue.  It was exceptionally quiet that day, because along with the quiet zone rule, we were also the only people in the garden!  A whole Italian, French, and English garden combo, set right here in NYC, all to ourselves!

As you can see, we probably didn’t pick the best time to make the trek–after the long winter virtually nothing was in bloom, and April showers were in full force.  I’d imagine a bit later in the season it will be stunning though, and the perfect place to escape with a spring read.  Oh, and unexpected bonus: the public restrooms are shockingly clean!;-)

unnamed-30 unnamed-32 unnamed-33 unnamed-34 unnamed-35 unnamed-38 unnamed-36 unnamed-31 unnamed-37 unnamed-39 unnamed-40 unnamed-41

Where do you go when you need a little quiet time?  Share below!

p.s. a few other green spaces in NYC we love!

• There are several high and low spots in Inwood Hill Park that are so quiet that the din of the neighborhood barely registers. There are enough spots that you could take quite a few unplanned adventures there and find a new place to chill each time. As a bonus, it appears there aren’t too many adventurous people that visit. I hardly ever see anyone else, even on the nicest of days. Have fun!

Thanks for this article. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I lived in Inwood for many years, and LOVE Inwood Hill Park! I totally agree, it seems like it was always pretty empty, but between the tennis courts, baseball fields, water activities and hiking…there’s tons happening up there more people should take advantage of!

Thanks for stopping by, Reuben!

• Heather says:

Aww, I love that little garden. My husband and I walked through there the first spring we were dating so it will always hold a special place in my heart :-)

• I thought I had explored the entirety of the park, and yet I had never known about this garden! I cannot believe I have missed this time and time again. I will definitely have to pay it a visit this spring 😀

I’ve never been but I’ve heard of it as a lovely oasis of quiet and beauty in a big city. I think it looks gorgeous. The rain just adds depth to the photos.

Thanks Tamara! I keep telling myself I need to really start toting around my real camera instead of just using my iphone for all photography–ahh! One of these days!;-)

• How did we not find this place when we visited Central Park? Maybe it was because we were on bikes. We found a lovely walled garden in Sunbury on Thames this weekend

Oh that sounds lovely, Suze! I always find things in the UK to be so green and lush–the rain does have its perks!:-)

• I’m glad there were at least the smattering of those tiny white flowers! It will be fun to do a compare/contrast of dormant vs full bloom. I went last year in May and it was so gorgeous. My blog post on that here, should you want to see what’s in store: http://newyorkcliche.com/2014/05/06/spring-splendor-in-the-conservatory-garden-in-central-park/

Omg, talk about night and day!!! Your visit is GORGEOUS! I can’t wait to make another trip in a few weeks to capture more colors other than just green and gray;-)