Coffeeshop By Day, Tasting Menu Paradise By Night

unnamed-16Whenever it’s my turn to plan a special date night, chances hover around 99% that it’s going to be something involving food–because eating is probably my husband’s #1 favorite hobby;-)  My interest was immediately captured as I read Guest of a Guest’s article The Best NYC Tasting Menus Under $100 Per Person, and learned of a place called Boxkite, a

…tiny East Village coffee counter serving an 8-10 course tasting menu every night (yes…you sit at the coffee counter), and it’s really, really cool.  The chefs are ever changing so the menu is too, but you’ll likely be treated to dishes inspired by what was at the Union Square greenmarket that day, plus an obligatory coffee course.

I was able to snag a reservation for the same weekend for the $85 a person menu, and we were extra delighted to see that we had the entire place to ourselves (okay, yes, it’s probably the size of most NYC living rooms, but still.  It felt extra special.)  The intimate setup let us watch as Chef Levi prepared our meals right in front of us (culinary genius, that one!), and allowed us to banter back and forth, too, finding out important details like where he came from and what inspires his meals.

unnamed-29 unnamed-27And the food?  I’ll let my husband, the real restaurant critic, answer: “This may just be the best dinner date you’ve ever taken me on.”  Gold star for me!  He licked all his plates clean, and mine too!  So flavorful, such fresh ingredients, and you just can’t beat Chef Levi’s presentation, right?

unnamed-31 unnamed-17 unnamed-18 unnamed-19 unnamed-23 unnamed-25 unnamed-26 unnamed-28 unnamed-32 unnamed-30One caution–while the menu is a “steal” compared to other tasting menus in the city, we made the fatal mistake of ordering wine by the glass, which can certainly add to the tab!  It was only afterwards when consulting their website that I found you can BYOB, with a $35 corkage fee.  If you have bottles laying around at home, this is certainly worth it.

So many courses! I suppose the small plates size makes it possible to indulge in a little bit of everything.
    I want to go!

Exactly! I was stuffed, but I think my husband could have gone a few more rounds!;-)

• What exquisite food! It looks so beautifully presented, I wouldn’t want to disturb the plates!! The desserts look divine too – and that coffee is perfect. i’m sure it all tasted as good as it looks!

It truly did! I was a huge fan of their coffee, and am definitely planning to revisit during the day when they are solely a coffeeshop!

• 8 courses, wow! It does look very well balanced though and is making me hungry right now

I really appreciated that nothing was TOO heavy, so you didn’t leave feeling uncomfortably stuffed!:-)

• Kemkem says:

Oh Wow! Those plates look awesome. I would lick everything clean too :-). You know, l was thinking $85 per person was a little dear, but upon seeing the photos, l think it’s a fair price. Sorry about the wine by the glass, but it looks like you got some. Really great food!!! Have a good weekend!

85 does sound quite steep (and it is, it is!), but tasting menus at fancier restaurants can easily set you back a few hundred per person in NYC–crazy, right?! Have a wonderful weekend, Kemkem!

• Sarah says:

Ok this is going on my list ASAP. That food looks amazingly fresh and delicious and dare I say healthy? Except for what looks like it could be foie gras between two waffles – but that looks delicious too!! Nice pictures too by the way.

Hehe, it’s gelato between waffles–so probably not too much healthier than foie gras;-) But you’re right, it all was super healthy and delicious, I can’t wait to hear what you think!