Cheap Date: Alice In Wonderland + Keko Cafe

Sometimes solo explorations around the city are the best, right?  They allow you to be as poky (or speedy!) as you please, and to really focus 100% on the adventure at hand.  Last week I took myself on a little museum + lunch date in Midtown.

unnamed-15

The Alice: 150 Years of Wonderland exhibit is currently live in the Morgan Library & Museum, and kid-lit fan as I am, I couldn’t wait to see it.  It was fun learning the history of the story…in 1862, author Lewis Carroll was on a Thames River boating trip one delightful English afternoon with the young Liddell sisters–Lorina, Alice, and Edith–when the girls asked for a story.  Creative Carroll happily obliged, making up a tale that sent his heroine “straight down a rabbit hole, to begin with, without the least idea what was to happen afterwards”, and thus the story of Wonderland was born!  That evening young Alice asked for a written copy of the story, and a few years later, the original manuscript was finished.  Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was a wild success, and from that day on, has never been out of print.  The exhibit is up through October 11th, so if you’re a fan, do be sure to stop by!

unnamed-19

^^One of the last 25 remaining copies of the original edition.^^

Fun, right?!  And of course, I couldn’t leave the Morgan without popping into Mr. Morgan’s exquisite study and library.  It’s truly a treat, and I’d recommend a visit to every New Yorker and tourist alike!  Bonus: as you’ll note in our When To Visit NYC Museums For Free guide, the Morgan is free to the public Fridays from 7pm to 9pm, making for a perfect cheap free date night!

unnamed-17 unnamed-16 unnamed-18

After my visit to Wonderland, I stopped in to a nearby cafe for lunch.  Keko Cafe is small and adorable with a Parisian vibe circa 1930 (oh, the music!), and serves up every kind of crepe you could possibly imagine, along with on-point tea and coffee drinks.  My appetite was a bit ferocious, so I went with the lentil soup and mozzarella and tomato pesto sammie combo, finishing off with a chocolate chip cookie.

They also have an afternoon tea special where you can get tea, tea sandwiches, and a scone with all the fixings for $14.  I’ll totally be back (with company) for that one!

unnamed-12 unnamed-13 unnamed-14 unnamed-20

Have you been on any solo adventures lately?  Share below!

p.s. book lover? in case you missed it, free tours of the New York Public Library!

• I used to love this book, what a great find!

• Natalia says:

How amazing! I could spend hours there, daydreaming… Thank you very much for sharing the photos. x

• How funny, that we are just trying to read Alice in Wonderland to our eldest.

I love solo adventures. They are few and far between but I like to go to a restaurant and get soup or see a movie. OR.. go try to find moose in swamps.
    ha!
    Have you seen the corn maze that’s Alice in Wonderland going viral? Yahoo.com named it the best one in America. It’s in a town near me called Sunderland. Alice in Sunderland.

• Gabrielle says:

This entire post is genuinely heartwarming, because this is exactly how I enjoy passing the time as well! Some history followed by a snack haha :) I love that you saw one of the final remaining copies and ‘yum’ to the cookie! To answer your question, I haven’t been on many solo adventures lately, however when I do, they’re usually to gardens with cafes nestled in the grounds, or occasionally the cinema :)

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

Oh I love the idea of exploring a garden solo, Gabrielle–totally gives the opportunity to really wander at your own pace (before grabbing a cookie at the cafe!;-)

• Kemkem says:

The library looks so inviting and cozy! I could easily spend a crapload of time in there :-) . Can you imagine the author as an uncle? I would but him ALL the time!!! I like solo journeys, but have not taken any in months…time to rectify that methinks..

It’s absolutely gorgeous! He has a separate study too, which I forgot to photograph, but I would certainly love to work there everyday!:-)

• Naomi says:

How did I not discover your blog any sooner? I LOVE New York City more than anything and I’m sure I’ll find tons of fun articles of new things I should do next time I’m there. Also, Alice in Wonderland exhibit? So cool!

Yay, welcome to the blog, Naomi! The Alice exhibit was really fun, I can’t wait to go back and reread the story now!:-)