9/11 Tour With Walks Of New York

unnamed-10

I moved to NYC during the summer of 2005, a few years after the attacks on the World Trade Center.  Fourteen years later, there has been a massive transformation of lower Manhattan…and also some places that have remained exactly the same.

unnamed-7 unnamed-8 unnamed-11

Never having been on an actual guided tour of the area, I was thrilled to join Walks of New York on their World Trade Center Tour.  The tour takes a small group through key sites of the terror attacks, finishing with a visit to the newly opened One World Observatory at the top of One World Trade Center for 360-degree views over New York (really the best I’ve ever seen).  It’s truly a special way to remember the past, appreciate the present, and to look forward to what the future holds.

unnamed-9 unnamed-12 unnamed-13 unnamed-15 unnamed-14

One really touching thing that stayed with me long after the tour is how, on the birthdays of those lost in the attacks, a white rose is set next to their name on the memorial plaque.  Here’s to remembering, always.

unnamed-16

• danielle says:

i definitely plan to visit the memorial on the anniversary one day. i saw the towers when i was in fourth grade and haven’t visited them since. love your photos :)

• Gabrielle says:

I love how some parts have changed and modernised, but the memories are still kept alive with so many parts preserved to remember that dreadful time. A heartwarming post, thank you for sharing :)

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

I always find it amazing how the church across the street from the towers wasn’t damaged at all…you can still walk through it as you could have 14 years ago.

I remember going to a memorial in Newark – just after it had happened. I was very close to 9-11 – close enough to see the smoke in the sky and to be grateful that my boyfriend who worked in the World Trader Center… always got to work around 10:00am because he couldn’t hack 9:00am.
    It might have been a very different life for me, but sadly it was for others. For all of us.

Oh wow, I’m sure you were never so grateful to have a late riser in your life–what a really scary thing to think about. Thanks for sharing, Tamara.

• Naomi says:

I went to the memorial and 9/11 museum two years ago I think and I cried. It was overwhelming. I’ve been visiting the one world trade center for years now, well just the place where they were building it, just to remember the people who passed away on 9/11. It’s heartbreaking and it’s super important to remember what happened that day, but also the days following up.

Exactly. The Reflecting Pools they built are a wonderful memorial, and it always touches me when I visit how it’s always full of people, remembering and paying their respects.

• The white rose is such a nice way of remembering those who lost their lives in this tragedy

• I also moved to NY a couple of years after 911 (2004 to be exact). I still remember watching the events on television between classes (I was in 10th grade) and being in disbelief. I remember traveling down to NYC again the spring of the following year and signing a board to remember those that lost their lives. Over the past couple of years, I have visited the memorial site two times and each time it has been very sad. Let us never forget those who lost their lives on that tragic day.

I still remember exactly where I was when it happened too…dorm room, my sophomore year in college…a friend ran into our room and shouted something about the Twin Towers being hit–I was half asleep from a long night of studying, and thought I was dreaming…it was like, “no, that can’t be right.” Let us never forget, indeed.