10 Cafes For A Delicious Cup Of Coffee In NYC

The best way to refuel for NYC living? A delicious cup of Joe, of course! While you can certainly find a Starbucks on most every corner, these are the adorable mom-and-pop shops we visit on the regular.  Not only can you grab a delicious coffee at each of them, but they also have seating provided for you to grab a book (or a date!) and stay awhile.

Bibble & Sip (note: get the lavender latte.)

Ralph’s Coffee Shop (note: this is located on the 2nd floor of the (you guessed it) Ralph Lauren store on 5th Avenue.  it has plenty of seating, plugs for charging your devices, and is a great spot to refuel after an afternoon of Midtown shopping.)

Housing Works Bookstore Cafe (note: grab your coffee and a used book off the shelves, and head upstairs for an afternoon wind down at one of the cute little tables.  if you are digging the book, go ahead and purchase it, as all proceeds from the shop go to help local New Yorkers living with HIV/AIDS.)

Culture Espresso (note: the chandelier and wallpaper give it a charming vibe in a neighborhood otherwise mostly known for chains. it may be seasonal, but if they have it, order the maple latte.)

Kaffe 1668 (note: they brew each cup individually, making it truly a coffee art to behold.  thus a regular cup of coffee here is really, really good.)

Cafe Lalo (note: this is a spot to get a fancy coffee along with a fancy dessert, a true #treatyoself day.  would also make an excellent date spot.  and in case you hadn’t heard, this is also where the cafe scene from “You Got Mail” was filmed.)

Box Kite NYC (note: for true coffee connoisseurs, get the coffee flight.  it’s one of those bucket list musts!  and p.s. they have an AMAZING tasting menu available too–such a special night out!)

Ground Central (note: a cute little book nook is in the back of this industrial-vibe spot in Midtown East, bring your laptop and stay awhile.)

Kahve (note: for something a bit different, order the Turkish coffee.)

Fika (note: minimalist Swedish coffeeshop, anyone?  their little chocolate truffle candies are such a treat.)

I’ll be sure to update this list as I continue to explore more cute coffee shops in NYC (there are so many!)

And do tell…anywhere not on here that I should run out and try immediately?  Where is your favorite place for a local cup of joe?  Share below!

p.s. in case you missed it, we asked a few New Yorkers where their favorite coffee shop was, and here’s what they said!

• Liana @ LK says:

ah, Fika is DEFINITELY my favorite when I visit the city – and I love that one is next door to the Yotel.

• Bob says:

You gotta try this one sometime! Third Rail Coffee at NYU. Though no decaf and they’re cash only.

• Really good coffee tastes good whether it’s decaf or not. It must be in the beans and the roasting.

• Wow… Short but very informative article….. Thanks for suggesting some wonderful coffee shops across the NY…. Have been to many of these….. And most importantly, suggesting the menus at each cafe is really a brilliant idea…. :)

• Hi Jess, I’ve just discovered your blog – this post is so useful. I’m a writer in the UK and blog about NYC as I’m a bit obsessed and visit a lot. Always have trouble hunting down a good coffee shop when I’ve been pounding the pavements and in need of caffeine! This post is really useful – but I did discover Abraco espresso and bakery in the East Village when I was last in town. Great coffee and lovely people. I’ll definitely be going back when I’m next in NYC.

Hi Ellie! Yay, so glad we connected–hello to the UK!:-) And thanks for the Abraco suggestion, I will definitely be checking that out!

• Ttrockwood says:

I adore kaffe 1668!
    But how did you miss cafe grumpy??

Can you believe I’ve never been there?! Will make sure it’s one of the next I visit!:-)

• Antoinette says:

That HousingWorks cafe is one of my favorites for many years and it’s unavoidable as it’s next to my gym! I also love Two Hands in NoHo, El Rey in the LES, Bluestone Lane Collective, Toby’s and Chalait (matcha cortado mmm!) in the West Village, and Devocion and Brunswick out in Brooklyn. Uptown in Harlem and Hamilton, there are so many cute coffeeshops that have popped up too, like Manhattanville Coffee and Filtered. I used to practically live in coffeeshops all over NYC and have an extensive list of them and restaurants on my iPhone notes, so if you need recommendations, ask your girl :) I have, unfortunately given up coffee for quite some time now – crazy, I know!

p.s. It’s good to be back here on your site!

Hi Antoinette! Thanks so much for the recommendations, can’t wait to try these out! Also can’t wait to read about your adventures in Colorado, xo!

• Gabrielle says:

Ah, New York is still right at the top of my travel wishlist – though I don’t drink coffee, I can absolutely imagine how amazing the cafés’ venues alone are haha!

aglassofice.com
    x

• Nice selection. I’m a coffee lover and when I come visit I will have this list. I love Ralph Lauren so I’d probably start at his coffee shop. Starbucks is convenient and the people are so friendly that work there, but it’s a bit generic. In Seattle they have opened a massive starbucks with a tasting bar and ‘tour’. It’s kind of ridiculous…

• Woo! I’ve actually been to one of these! I stumbled on Fika on my last visit and it was love at first sip :-)

This is my weakness. I’m strictly decaf for reasons I won’t get into, but the taste is magnificent to me. Really good coffee tastes good whether it’s decaf or not. It must be in the beans and the roasting. The coffeeshop magic!

• Agness says:

As you may already know, I’m the biggest fan of coffee. I start off my day with a big cup of coffee so when in NYC I will keep your list in mind! :)

• Sam says:

Great List, Jess! I just discovered HousingWorks and I LOVE it – can’t believe it’s been there all this time. There’s a cute and super tiny little cafe tucked on the corner of East 38th St and Lexington called Lucid Cafe. There’s only two little tables in there, but worth checking out!

• Becky Padmore says:

Great list, will use it next time I visit New York! :-)