Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade

Photo Credit: www.hotelchatter.com

For those of you planning to spend Thanksgiving in the Big Apple, why not pull yourself away from the comfort of your couch and the warmth of your Snuggie to experience one of New York’s most famous parades first hand?  I’m sure 99% of you are cringing at the mere thought, but for the rest of you…the 1%…put on your adventure earmuffs, bundle-up, and head out to The 85th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade! Here’s everything you need to know to make this Thanksgiving one to remember:

Watching The Parade Balloons Inflate

The balloons are inflated the day before the Parade on 77th and 81st Street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue.  Public viewing is from 3pm-10pm.

2011 Route

Beginning at 77th Street and Central Park West, the parade marches south on Central Park West, and then turns east onto Central Park South.  When it reaches 7th Avenue, the procession turns south at the conner of Central Park South and marches to 42nd Street.  It then travels east along 42nd Street from 7th to 6th Avenue.  At 6th Avenue, the Parade veers south and marches to 34th Street.  At 34th Street, it heads west to Herald Square, ending at 34th Street and 7th Avenue.  The route offers 2 miles of public viewing!

Getting To The Parade On Time

Although the parade starts at 9am, it is a good idea to arrive closer to 7am to get a great viewing spot along the Parade Route.

Once you see first-hand Snoopy floating down Central Park West, you’ll be texting all your friends who stayed on their couches, “I may be freezing, but I’m pretty sure my Thanksgiving trumps yours”.

By: Jessica Tiare Bowen