If you’re visiting NYC for the first time, I wholeheartedly believe jumping on a tour is one of the best ways to get to know a piece of the city on a more intimate level. The problem is, with literally THOUSANDS of tours to choose from, where do you even start?!
Well, first of all, follow your passion. If you are really into fashion, join a tour of the Garment District. Or if theater is your jam, head to a tour of the Great White Way. There’s no point in taking a tour of NYC Historic Sites, for instance, if you have a general dislike for history, right? This is my go-to site for looking up unique tours available in NYC, so definitely check them out and see if your area of interest is covered…I’m sure it is;-)
Over the years, we’ve joined tour groups covering LOTS of different subjects. I’ve rounded up the five best experiences below (based on overall entertainment and enjoyment value, and if I would recommend the tour personally to a very picky family member or friend), and linked them to the original post so you can have an in-depth review.
Oh! And one last thing. Tours aren’t only for tourists. New Yorkers are lucky enough to call this city home, so why not shake up your weekend routine and check out one that interests you? Use your city, my friends!
1. If you love an adventurous interactive experience, that will have you solving a murder mystery all the way across Lower Manhattan, check out The Accomplice.
2. If you love the idea of museums, but museums themselves bore the crap out of you, check out Museum Hack.
3. If you love to eat (and don’t mind a tiny side of culture), check out Ahoy: New York Tours and Tasting.
4. If you love craft cocktails and cool spaces, check out Urban Adventures.
5. If you love all things Sex and the City, check out On Location Tours.