5 Delicious NYC Bakeries

Like everything else in the city, when it comes to baked goods and yummy treats, New Yorkers have too many choices. To keep you from falling prey to unnecessarily long lines at Magnolia, or from eating the same old fare from Crumbs, we’ve found you some delicious and much more swoon-worthy alternatives.

Here’s Used York City’s Top Five Bakeries:

1. Lady M – Let’s start with the fancy one first, shall we? Lady M offers some of the richest and most decadent desserts in Manhattan and is no doubt perfectly at home in its Upper East Side neighborhood. While it would be easy to pretend a bakery like Lady M is only for ladies who own Chanel bags, the reality is that no one can deny how delicious their cakes are, and once you’ve had their star – the Mille Crepe – you will be converted.

2. One Girl Cookies – This Brooklyn favorite puts places like Magnolia Bakery to shame. The cupcakes are the perfect balance of sweet and savory and exactly what we all want when we’re craving our favorite American dessert. Not a cupcake fan – then how about a whoopie pie? Whatever you choose, this little bakery is quintessential Brooklyn and the perfect place to rest your tired feet whether you’re in Brooklyn as a tourist or just out for a neighborhood stroll.

3. Prohibition BakeryTwo words – boozy cupcakes. It’s okay, take a minute. Yup, that’s right – boozy cupcakes.  Dark and Stormy, Old Fashioned, White Russian, Margarita – pick your cocktail pleasure and Prohibition Bakery on the Lower East Side will have a cupcake to match it. Smaller than the average cupcake (for obvious reasons) they’re prefect for a party for 20 or a party for one (let’s be honest).

4. Billy’s Bakery – Old fashioned baked goods made from scratch. You can’t get much better than that.  Billy’s Bakery in midtown has every baked good you can dream up but their cakes are by far some of the best in the city. Their Famous Icebox Cake is serious business and a must try for every New Yorker.

5. Mille-feuille Bakery – This small and charming French bakery in the West Village looks as if it’s been plucked straight from the streets of Paris and dropped in the middle of Manhattan. Everything here is perfectly French and perfectly made, from their éclairs, to their croissants, and their famous macarons.  The best part? Not only can you indulge in their delicious desserts but you can learn how to make them too! The bakery offers macaron and croissant making classes on select Saturday mornings – what more can a New Yorker ask for?

What’s your go-to bakery?

By: Adrienne Mansard

32 Responses to “5 Delicious NYC Bakeries”

1. [...] I’ve got more food coming your way with this guide to 5 delicious New York bakeries. I’ll have a cupcake, thank you. This entry was posted in Sunday Supers and tagged [...]

2. [...] I wrote a new article on 5 delicious NYC bakeries for Used York City and you can find it here. [...]

3. Pamela Morse says:

Great variety here, Jess. I am up for the crepes, skip the handbag…so I can buy more crepes.

4. Hi Jess, I.m not big on pastries but lots of my friers are. Friends from Midwest are visiting these weekend and they have super huge sweet teeth. I’ll definitely take them to those places, Thanks for the tips.
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates recently posted..Jordan: Petra by NightMy Profile

5. YUM! I love macarons so so much! Wish I could just pop into one of these bakeries right now!
    Casey @ A Cruising Couple recently posted..Hong Kong for Foodies: A Tasting TourMy Profile

6. Dragon88 says:

One Girl Cookie! Nothing like it. Their Whoppie Pies are every kid in the neighbourhood s delight and worth a little sugar rush. Red Velvet cupcakes are not duplicated anywhere.

Mmm, now I have Whoopie Pies on the brain! Perfect Memorial Day treat, is it not?;-)

7. Salika Jay says:

You’re so right about New Yorkers having too many choices when it comes to baked goods. That’s among the top things I love about New York. The Mille Crepe by Lady M looks so delicious. You can see the layers beautifully. I bet it melts in the mouth.
    Salika Jay recently posted..Top Delicious Restaurants of ParisMy Profile

8. Agness says:

I have sweet tooth and nothing can change it. My favourite are of course cupcakes, any kind of them. Therefore, I would definitely grab some from the Prohibition Bakery. Can’t wait for my cupcake adventure in NYC !
    Agness recently posted..My 10 Favourite Polish Foods I’m Missing So Badly in ChinaMy Profile

9. Andy says:

My favorite is Chikalicious and anything Pichet Ong is involved in like Sugar and Plumm. Also you missed Lafayette whihc just opened. Jennifer Yee is an amazing chef.
    Andy recently posted..Pichet Ong’s Double Almond & Jam CookiesMy Profile

Ahh, thanks for the tips, Andy! I’ll make sure to get down to Lafayette and give Ms. Yee a try!:-)

10. I have to agree with you on Magnolia and Crumb. Although I absolutely loved Magnolia’s red velvet cupcake when I first sank my teeth into it, the quality has gone down over the years. And Crumbs has always been a meh… for me.. Great choices. I love the mille crepe from Lady M. A little on the pricey side, but it’s worth every penny.

Hope you’re enjoying a (veggie) barbecue or two this long weekend! :))
    Gomo | cHow Divine recently posted..Kimchi Jumuk Bap (Kimchi Rice Balls)My Profile

Thanks! We hope you’re having a lovely weekend as well…at least the sun decided to finally pop out!;-)

11. memographer says:

These cup/cakes look so delicious! I’ve bookmarked this post and, definitely, will visit at least one of the bakeries when in Used York City next time ;)
    memographer recently posted..Street Portraits of Peru: A Continued StoryMy Profile

12. wow!! bring on the boozy cupcakes.. then the macarons… and then the rest..what a great “tour”..
    means I will have to hit there next time I am in NYC
    Stevie Wilson recently posted..Cocktails and Food that Will Make Your Holiday Weekend Something Special, Healthy and Tasty!My Profile

13. over here, for britishness you should go to Fortnum and Mason tea rooms, very gorgeous. But my fav afternoon teas are at One Aldwych and the Interncontinental park lane. Bakeries tend not to do sit down coffees and teas – though somewhere like pierre Herme does a good line in VERY special macarons (I think there’s one in NYC too?)
    fiona maclean recently posted..No Calorie Noodles and the 5:2 DietMy Profile

Mmm, a proper sit down afternoon tea with all the included baked goodies sounds FABULOUS!

14. Tracy Kaler says:

I never used to be a dessert person, but that has seriously changed since I moved to NYC! These all sound amazing. Will have to check out Mille-feuille for sure!
    Tracy Kaler recently posted..Worthy Restaurants in the West 100sMy Profile

15. Diane says:

There was this awesome bakery for red velvet cakes on the UES, not sure if it’s still there called Two Little Red Hens. I used to get a big cake for all our work celebrations when I worked just around the corner. French bakeries are great but sometimes I want a real American-style cake!
    Diane recently posted..Going to the dentist in France: Things you never want to hear your dentist sayMy Profile

16. If I knew you were coming, I’d a baked you a coke!
    Clinicalposters.com recently posted..Pinterest Recipe for SuccessMy Profile